FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Bugs
   Bug Fixes, Implemented Suggestions
(Moderator: fry)
   Public Class
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: Public Class  (Read 731 times)
skloopy

Public Class
« on: Apr 17th, 2003, 11:21am »

I'm sure someone has brought this up, because it has to do with importing and stuff, but it would be really nice if p5 would allow public classes to be used between sketches.

For example, i made a custom font class that draws polygon text, and it uses bText() but i have to copy the whole long class into any other sketch i want to use it with. So it'd be nice if we could just say

public class bearsFont {

and it would work with all sketches. I guess that might interfere if more than one person is using p5 though.
« Last Edit: Apr 17th, 2003, 11:22am by skloopy »  
fry

Re: Public Class
« Reply #1 on: May 1st, 2003, 4:59am »

yup, something along these lines is planned, and will be in there before beta; and i've noted your specific implementation idea, since we're still trying to figure out how to best do it.. any other comments from folks on that point would be useful.

arielm

« Reply #2 on: May 1st, 2003, 6:41pm »

another comment from one folk on almost that point:

in addition to user-made public classes, it would be nice to have the option to import external, pre-compiled classes too...

Ariel Malka | www.chronotext.org
benelek

35160983516098 WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: May 2nd, 2003, 3:41pm »

doesnt the ability to import someone else's precompiled classes encourage downloading rather than original structuring/design? i realise the bboard examples section fills primarily the function of sharing code snippets and methods... but because users are encouraged to talk about their code, there's still the focus on originality and understanding rather than just usage. people get too lazy when you provide a way for them to be really lazy really easily. that's the power of suggestion

fry

« Reply #4 on: May 3rd, 2003, 1:08am »

on May 1st, 2003, 6:41pm, arielm wrote:
in addition to user-made public classes, it would be nice to have the option to import external, pre-compiled classes too...

yup, that's part of the same issue. it's also tied to having full 'java mode' really working, as well as some of the memory leaks. it's just one of the bigger ones that'll take a few days and a clear head to get implemented.  

as for laziness with importing.. we can't be responsible for an increase in accrued laziness by individuals. our technology is only an enabler, if you choose to be lazy with it, you're only hurting your own person and only have yourself to blame.

fry

« Reply #5 on: Sep 25th, 2003, 2:20am »

i've completed a partial implementation, so full java mode and importing of other classes will be arriving in rev 63.

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »