FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Bugs
   Bug Fixes, Implemented Suggestions
(Moderator: fry)
   Development Environment
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: Development Environment  (Read 768 times)
Processing

WWW Email
Development Environment
« on: Aug 2nd, 2002, 3:33pm »

Problems with running/stopping/exporting/saving/typing etc.

eviltyler

Re: Development Environment
« Reply #1 on: Aug 3rd, 2002, 12:23am »

using a powerbook G4 400Mhz, 640 RAM, OS X 10.1.5, i cannot use the arrow keys to move around in the editor.
all is well if i hold shift.

additionally, when i run the app, the viewer window shows up on the left edge of the screen, with only about 5 pixels showing.

EDIT: typo
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2002, 12:23am by eviltyler »  
adrien

« Reply #2 on: Aug 3rd, 2002, 1:10am »

I will second tylyer's complaints on this one.

the editor window is pretty wide, no kbd insertion point control, and window in strange places.

also, it's be nice if the escape key quit the presentation mode, rather than having to move my cursor --all the way-- down the left corner... ooof, it's exhausting.

Signature: Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post...
fdb

illililli@mac.com WWW
« Reply #3 on: Aug 3rd, 2002, 1:31am »

The cursor keys don't work either here. Selecting does work.  

Also, using (Apple)-A for Select All tries to quit the application (you get the "save changes?" confirmation and then quit).

Processing

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: Aug 3rd, 2002, 9:24am »

We think there is a bug in the OSX java vm with text areas, so as a result, the arrow keys won't work in the editor. We think this really stinks and are searching for options for a (near?) future release. In our opinion the text editor is the worst part of the environment and we want to improve it.

We also agree with using the escape key to close presentation mode. It's implemented on other platforms.

eviltyler

« Reply #5 on: Aug 3rd, 2002, 1:25pm »

>>We think there is a bug in the OSX java vm with text areas

can i ask how you're implementing the text area?  i have a bit of experience building os x java apps and have built a couple of text editors.

everything i did used JEditorPane (swing).

hope that helps.

fry

« Reply #6 on: Aug 4th, 2002, 12:45am »

phew, you osx guys seem to have struck gold.

re: arrow keys.. this kinda stinks because it popped up late in our testing, and it's a bug in apple's implementation of java.awt.TextArea. we're not using swing (swing is bloated and slow, programming swing makes me feel bloated and my apps feel slow) but just regular awt components. swapping out the text editor is high on the list of priorities towards beta.. might use the swing stuff, or the TextArea component from jedit.

re: the viewer window popping up strangely, do you have multiple monitors? i've never run into that one but will try and see if i can get it to happen. is there enough width to the lefthand side of the editor for the applet window? (that is, are there 250 pixels free for an applet that's 200 pixels wide?)

re: editor window width, is it obnoxiously large? is the font huge or something? do you have altered font settings on your machine?

re: escape quitting presentation mode, that's implemented but probably just needs a tweak to make it run more correctly under osx. god bless "write once run anywhere"

eviltyler

« Reply #7 on: Aug 4th, 2002, 4:19am »

Quote:
os x
re: arrow keys..  

boo apple

Quote:

re: the viewer window popping up strangely, do you have multiple monitors? i've never run into that one but will try and see if i can get it to happen. is there enough width to the lefthand side of the editor for the applet window? (that is, are there 250 pixels free for an applet that's 200 pixels wide?)

nope, just a tibook display.  i run the editor full screen and i have my dock pinned on the left hand side.    if i run the code for the first time, it shows up in the top left, with only a couple of pixels showing.

i snapped a shot my desktop and put it here:
http://www.praytothemachine.com/evil/images/proce55.tiff

notice the yellow window behind the dock.

jes

« Reply #8 on: Aug 5th, 2002, 7:42am »

re: the viewer window and editor window placement

I think the problem is that when a viewer is first run, the viewer window is placed relative to the editor window position...to the left, aligned at the top and 20-30 pixels apart from the editor window's left edge. This is fine if the editor window is far enough away from the left edge of the monitor, otherwise it disappears off screen.  It might be better to place the viewer window relative to the screen rather than the editor, and then "remember" the user's window placement between sessions.

eviltyler

« Reply #9 on: Aug 5th, 2002, 3:10pm »

jes, you're exactly right.

not a big issue, just an annoyance.

fry

« Reply #10 on: Aug 5th, 2002, 7:08pm »

eviltyler thanks for the screenshot, helps alot.

1. jes is right in that the window pops up 20-30 pixels ot the right of the frame. we can add something so that it doesn't run off the screen if there's no room, since that's pretty dorky.  

2. is that the default font size you're getting under macosx? and as a result, the default window size? it's enormous. fairly obscene. i may have set my osx box to use slightly smaller fonts by default. if so, pde_macosx.properties will be modified in future releases so that the font (and therefore window) is a little more svelte.

eviltyler

« Reply #11 on: Aug 5th, 2002, 7:28pm »

on Aug 5th, 2002, 7:08pm, fry wrote:
eviltyler thanks for the screenshot, helps alot.

np.

Quote:

1. jes is right in that the window pops up 20-30 pixels ot the right of the frame. we can add something so that it doesn't run off the screen if there's no room, since that's pretty dorky.  

i'm assuming that the viewer window is a child to the editor, centered-on-parent would suit me just fine.

Quote:

2. is that the default font size you're getting under macosx and as a result, the default window size it's enormous. fairly obscene. i may have set my osx box to use slightly smaller fonts by default. if so, pde_macosx.properties will be modified in future releases so that the font (and therefore window) is a little more svelte.

yup, default on both accounts.  i've since changed the properties file that you mentioned.  looks alot better now.  

speaking of the properties file, maybe i missed it, but i want to change the color of the editor's background, black on grey, just ain't my thing.  can i change it  i found no editor.bgcolor value.
thanks.

jlee

Email
« Reply #12 on: Aug 6th, 2002, 9:11pm »

Hello,

I was having trouble getting the sample font program found in the revision.txt file, P5 threw a null pointer exception.  But I took a look at the run.bat for the windows version and noticed that the P5 directory was not included in the classpath.

run.bat looks like:

@echo off
.\java\bin\java -cp lib;lib\build;lib\pde.jar;lib\kjc.jar;lib\oro.jar;java\lib\ext\comm.jar; . PdeBase

with a ;. after comm.jar, now the fonts directory is visible to P5.

if this is already on the list, my apologies.

john

an update:

I should have read the readme.txt before the revisions.txt, because it says to move the necessary font files into your current sketchbook:

EXTERNAL FILES / FONTS / READING DATA FILES

if you want to use external files, like images or text files  
or fonts, they should be placed in a folder called 'data' inside:
sketchbook -> default -> SKETCH_NAME

Sorry about the eariler message.
« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2002, 10:44pm by jlee »  
fry

« Reply #13 on: Aug 13th, 2002, 4:20pm »

editor background/foreground color can be fixed easily enough. i'll add that in the next release.

re: the fonts dir.. it's an interesting hack that adding the current directory (.) to the classpath let you pull things out of the fonts dir. it makes sense when you think about it, but i'd rather encourage folks to use the data dir in sketch. maybe we can make that a bit more obvious.  

we were trying to be low-key about fonts because we're not quite happy with them yet.

fry

« Reply #14 on: Sep 2nd, 2002, 7:52pm »

lots of these issues are now fixed in rev 44, which is posted at the download page.  

see the release notes in readme.txt and revisions.txt for full details.

[the url for the download page is in the last email we sent about the alpha download (please don't post here.. we prefer that people register for the url)]

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »