An endless performance

edited November 2017 in Share Your Work

https://goo.gl/X79nGx

I am an artist, here I am trying to explore a connection between an experience of Time and our sense of ongoing narrative In this performance I aim to separate the viewer's expectation of narrative in the moving image from the viewer's interior and personal dialogue (narrative). I am continuously paring the video material down to a minimum: here I offer the viewer the chance to guess the sequence of apple or orange that I bring into view. In essence you are watching the same 4 actions in a forward or backward running video, the change over between these two timelines being randomly dictated by the web code. Occasionally I may appear to change my mind halfway through the action, this again is down to a change of timeline.

When programming this code the major breakthrough occurred when I stopped thinking about the direction of time in the movies , I just designated them "blue" and "red" and planned the programmatic steps that happened on a change of "colour"

Tagged:

Comments

• Thank you for sharing this, @aldobranti. Very interesting -- the midway-direction changes are particularly compelling.

How did you manage editing the jump between the apples recording and the tomato (persimmon?) recording? I would imagine getting the alignment right must have been hard, and it would be very hard to scale to more than two sets of items....

• I don't think that was the problem ... I filmed about 4 iterations of bringing out an apple or a tangerine and a change of fruit between hands , topped and tailed the video and then used iMovie to generate the reverse action video. The tricky bit is to avoid sudden motion which will look dodgy when reversed You're welcome to grab the js from the website...