Using an alternative video input w/ p5.js for video capture

I wasn't sure if I should post this question here or in the Processing hardware section but because it is specifically using p5.js at the moment, it's here.

I'm planning on using the video output from one of these https://www.critterandguitari.com/collections/video-synthesizers/products/rhythm-scope for a project and am trying to think of the best solution to bring the video output from the hardware and add additional visuals to it within the browser --using p5.js. The hardware outputs video via component video. So was thinking a component video out to USB or Firewire converter would work. I was thinking that the video stream could be input'd into my computer and the browser would consider it a webcam video stream or something... I'm hoping that I'd be able to use the video stream as another source and select the source/devise from the little video camera icon in the address bar in the Chrome browser. Wondering if anyone has ever done this before? Or even, does anyone know if a video stream through USB is considered or interpreted as a webcam and streamed into the browser?

The reason for using p5.js instead of Processing is that we're also connecting to a Firebase DB to stream submitted data into the project. At the moment the stream is a basic list but the goal is to build it out to be much more immersive. It seems that Firebase is a bit more focused on web apps and their Java SKD is for Android and not for a more standard Java build. I'm not a Java developer so maybe I'm wrong on this... Anyways, this is the reasoning for picking P5 over traditional Processing...

Any experience with this or alternative solutions would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Tagged: