We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › Large delay between mouse motion and cursor motion
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Large delay between mouse motion and cursor motion (Read 1558 times)
Large delay between mouse motion and cursor motion
Jun 1st, 2010, 4:31am

I observed a large delay between mouse motion (figured by the cursor on the screen) and the motion of objects the position of which is given by MouseX and MouseY (tested on the linux version of processing)
What causes that large delay ? Is there a way to cancel it ?
Re: Large delay between mouse motion and cursor motion
Reply #1 - Jun 1st, 2010, 4:39am

This Topic was moved here from Software Bugs by PhiLho .
Software Bugs section is the wrong place to ask questions. The wrong place to post messages, actually, please read the stickies at the top of each section!
Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2010, 7:44am

I just tried the following on my Linux laptop running Ubuntu 9.10 with Processing 1.1.  There's a little bit of skippy-ness ocassionally, like a one-frame lag, but nothing significant or persistent.

See if this sketch gives you the issues you've been observing, and maybe we can narrow this down.

Quote:
void setup() {
  size(300, 300);
}

void draw() {
  background(0);
  fill(255);
  ellipse(mouseX, mouseY, 20, 20);
}

Reply #3 - Jun 1st, 2010, 1:10pm

Thank you for your test. I remember I observed a lag longer than only a single frame.
(But I tried to run your sketch on  my new netbook (Dell Latitude 13)... an it crashed the X server (the intel driver ?). So I have to try it on another computer... and to search in the "bugs" topic of this forum.)

I have to find a way to measure this lag.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1