We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexSuggestions & BugsWebsite,  Documentation,  Book Bugs › Eclipse tutorial suggestion
Pages: 1 2 
Eclipse tutorial suggestion (Read 9267 times)
Eclipse tutorial suggestion
Jan 8th, 2009, 2:21am

I think it would be useful if the Eclipse tutorial had information on how to get a 'data' folder set up so people could do things like import images, sounds, and pfonts
Re: Eclipse tutorial suggestion
Reply #1 - Jan 8th, 2009, 10:37am

Just add a folder named data in your src Folder.
Reply #2 - Jan 8th, 2009, 5:49pm

yea, I tried that, and it didn't work for me. And I tried adding the data folder to the build path, and that didn't work either.I tried having the data folder in the root of the project directory, and I tried putting it in the same directory with my main class. Neither of those works. What does work is if I put my assets in the bin folder but thats a hack because anytime I import a library into the project the bin folder gets overwritten.
p.s.
I'm on OS X, Processing 1.0 and Eclipse Ganymede
Reply #3 - Jan 8th, 2009, 6:41pm

If you copy stuff in through the finder, eclipse doesn't "realize" you did so. The data/ folder should be created throught the eclipse "Package Explorer" under the src/ folder. Eclipse will then create bin/data/.

If you want to add and image you will have to make sure it can be seen in the src folder. Add it through eclipse or refresh the folder. If it still does not appear select project->clean in the menu. This will delete your bin/ directory and recreate it from src/.
Reply #4 - Jan 8th, 2009, 7:20pm

thank you for that information,
one step closer to solving my problem.

the only thing left is that this solution doesn't seem to work if I'm using a fully qualified package name.

I set up a test project with the default package and added the data folder the way you describe, everything works great, then I set up a another test project with a fully qualified package name with everything else the same and now processing cant find my font.
what gives?
Reply #5 - Jan 9th, 2009, 9:31am

The data/ directory should remain at /src/data. It should not be a subdirectory of your package.
Reply #6 - Feb 7th, 2009, 1:04am

If this isn't already in the Eclipse tutorial, it definitely be - I'll be sure to put it in the NetBeans tutorial that's (cough) long overdue but nearly done. I know it counts as an FAQ / common source of confusion.
Reply #7 - Mar 7th, 2009, 12:29pm

Hi,

I'm having some trouble with this, since I'm just starting with Eclipse...I created the data folder in eclipse and then I copied the font file to that folder in the finder. Now, Eclipse runs it normally when I embed the PApplet in an application, but when embedding it into an applet, the font path seems to get lost (Exception in thread "Animation Thread" java.lang.RuntimeException: Could not load font...).

Should I confire it differently for an applet?

thanks for your input

Reply #8 - Mar 9th, 2009, 1:44am

I'm having exactly the same issue ("Could not load font" in an applet), but I am NOT using Eclipse.  So the issue may be independent of the IDE.
Reply #9 - May 6th, 2009, 11:42pm

A newbie here. Updated Eclipse tutorials would be very helpful. I've pulled out what little hair I had trying to get a Processing sketch which uses Serial to run under Eclipse. So far, no luck and I'm out of hair!  Shocked
Reply #10 - Jul 22nd, 2009, 1:55pm

In answer to running Serial:

Because Processing specifies its own comm package, if you want to access the java comm package (which contains, among other things, Serial), you'll have to use fully qualified class names.

e.g. javax.comm.SerialPort

Hope this helps, although it's a little late.  Undecided
Reply #11 - Aug 7th, 2009, 5:54am

I had a similar issue setting up Processing in Netbeans and I thought I'd share my solution in case it helped someone.

My problem involved using the text font 'Univers45.vlw', which is used in the processing.org/learning/3d/typing.html example. (sorry about the link not working, the forum bots won't let me post links until I've made 5 posts.)

My project was called foo, and my main class was src\bar\ProcessingTextTest.java.  
In Netbeans I created a java package in the src directory called 'data'.  Then, using windows explorer I copied the file:
'(WhereverYouInstalledProcessing)\examples\3D\Typography\Typing\data\Univers45.v
lw'
to my NetbeansProjects\foo\data' directory.  
Hope this helps.  Cool
Reply #12 - Oct 28th, 2009, 6:36pm

I'm a little late to this discussion, but I have no problem just creating a data folder in the root directory of my eclipse project.  No need from my standpoint to put it in the src folder.  Are people still having this issue?  I want to make sure I clear it up on the tutorial page, thanks!
Reply #13 - Jun 8th, 2010, 8:09am

Hi,

is there a working solution for loading .vlw in Eclipse yet? All the "create data folder in your src folder" is not working for me by any means. I'm using the processing 1.1 library in Eclipse Version 3.5.2,

thanks
Reply #14 - Jun 9th, 2010, 7:18am

Did you try putting the data folder outside of the src folder?  Just in the root directory of your eclipse project.  This is what I use.  Also, if you aren't already, try:

http://code.google.com/p/proclipsing/
Pages: 1 2