FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Suggestions
   Website, Reference, Example Suggestions
(Moderator: REAS)
   "Advanced subjects" topic
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: "Advanced subjects" topic  (Read 1956 times)
amoeba

"Advanced subjects" topic
« on: May 26th, 2004, 6:49pm »

A lot of posts on the forums now talk about fairly Java-specific issues, mostly due to people using Java functionality to augment Processing. I am personally guilty of this, since I usually combine Java and Processing these days. Also, quite a few posts deal with undocumented features or unorthodox ways of using Bagel.

It strikes me that these discussions are great for the more advanced Processing users, but might seem off-putting to beginners, or simply peripheral to "normal" use of Processing. Ben alluded to this "problem" in this post:

on May 19th, 2004, 3:25pm, fry wrote:
i see.. it's in any app running java, not a question of programming java applets. i was getting concerned about the processing board turning into a java programming free-for-all..

Maybe it would an idea to start a separate topic for advanced or java-related topics. Then people who want to talk about using Processing that way (like me, for instance) can migrate their discussions there, while other users remainly blissfully ignorant of Java...

marius watz // amoeba
http://processing.unlekker.net/
REAS

Re: "Advanced subjects" topic
« Reply #1 on: May 26th, 2004, 8:18pm »

Great suggestion. Ben and I had a conversation about this last week and had decided to make a new section. Then I became distracted and forgot. I'm glad to hear other people think it's important as well. It will be called something like "Integration". I'll put it up right now...

kevinP

Email
« Reply #2 on: May 26th, 2004, 9:41pm »

on May 26th, 2004, 8:18pm, REAS wrote:
It will be called something like "Integration". I'll put it up right now...

Hi Casey,

"Integration" -- I saw it and it's a good idea, as there are a lot of Flash/Director/embedded applet/etc. discussions, but I wonder if Mario's suggestion might be closer to something like "Extends Java" -- i.e. about Processing's role within its parent language and the native Java alternatives available to advanced users (such as Tom's reference elsewhere to the Java equivalent of splitInts()).

Just my 2 cents,

-Kevin

« Last Edit: May 26th, 2004, 9:41pm by kevinP »  

Kevin Pfeiffer
REAS

« Reply #3 on: May 28th, 2004, 8:00am »

Kevin,

What do you suggest? A fourth category within that section called "Processing and Java"?

I was hoping this could fit into the new "Integration" category. We could alter the wording here to open the category up.  

If it's a matter of syntax, like the splitInts() example, I think that should go into the Syntax category.  

+ Casey

kevinP

Email
« Reply #4 on: May 28th, 2004, 10:34am »

on May 28th, 2004, 8:00am, REAS wrote:

What do you suggest A fourth category within that section called "Processing and Java"

Hmmm... (eating my words)  When it come to forum folders, I believe that less is more.

Kevin Pfeiffer
Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »