FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Discussion
   Community, Collaboration, Status
(Moderator: REAS)
   actual number of P5 users?
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: actual number of P5 users?  (Read 2000 times)
lunetta

7200475272004752 WWW Email
actual number of P5 users?
« on: Mar 12th, 2005, 5:09pm »

Hello all

Can anyone shoot a number representing the an approximation of the number of Processing users today? Is the number of forum users a good guess?

thanks!
« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2005, 5:10pm by lunetta »  
fry

Re: actual number of P5 users?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12th, 2005, 8:41pm »

here's my speculation:

as of this moment, we've had just shy of 32,000 people sign up with their email addresses, and we're averaging about 100-120 new people per day. subtract from that 1) fake addresses 2) duplicates when people forget 3) people who downloaded and aren't really using it. but then add a large number of people who use it for courses, where the professor puts the software on a server and has 30-50 students download it.  

my estimate is that we have about 1000 to 3000 people who are using it on a somewhat regular basis (for a class or at least every few weeks), which is close to the number of registered ppl on the board, but i don't think it's the same 2500 people--i.e. i know of large groups of people who don't use the board at all. and many ppl who registered for the board but haven't really continued to return.

my next estimate is that we have a few hundred people who are using it very actively (multiple times a week) for their work.  

so i guess my rough model would be, of the people who signed up, 10% have continued to use it and 1% are active users.

in the future, it might be nice to include an auto check for updates feature in p5, which would also have the nice effect of giving us a general clue as to how many people are using the software--especially since this helps us in the future with getting grants/funding so that casey and i can continue work on it.

of course this latter part would also help us continue our general plan of international control of the online art/design/computer science communities through the invasion of people's privacy and the obsessive collection of email addresses and their usage statistics (why do you think beta is taking so long?)

lunetta

« Reply #2 on: Mar 12th, 2005, 9:06pm »

thanks Fry, just adding some stats to my thesis.

Send my warm regards to your NSA friends! My windows backdoor will be always open for them.

Phill Phorrari

« Reply #3 on: Mar 13th, 2005, 12:47pm »

this rases a question: would you by any chance know, if i make a webpage with P5 how many people would be able to see it, in other words how many already have the java platform-plugin installed ?
(if this is a stupid question, please have in mind that im still new and learning =_n)

fry

« Reply #4 on: Mar 13th, 2005, 5:07pm »

i haven't been tracking java vs. no java, but i have been tracking java versions on an applet from my site that gets several hundred hits a day.

based on stats for the last two weeks, for people using java it looks like about 48% are still using java 1.1. another less than 2% are on java 1.3, 31% on java 1.4, and 18% on java 1.5.  

i should also start tracking people w/o it installed too so i can get a feel for that. i saw a stat around 3 yrs ago that said that java was installed on 90% of machines but that was before msft stopped including it w/ the os, so my guess is that it's down to about 70-75%.  

also, on your site, you can put text inside the <APPLET> tags which will be shown for users who don't have java installed, which you can use to give them a link to java.com or whatever.

fry

« Reply #5 on: Mar 23rd, 2005, 5:05am »

k, so i've got some actual numbers for the java vs. non-java now too (for the curious, i was curious myself)

37.6% no java installed (ouch!)
27.1% java 1.1
21.0% java 1.4
13.1% java 1.5
1.2% java 1.3

this is for 15,421 people over the last two weeks.

lunetta

« Reply #6 on: Mar 23rd, 2005, 9:45am »

Thanks Microsoft! 37%, way to go!

TomC

« Reply #7 on: Mar 24th, 2005, 1:06pm »

Ack.  Does anyone know how this compares with Director or Flash?

fry

« Reply #8 on: Mar 24th, 2005, 4:51pm »

on Mar 24th, 2005, 1:06pm, TomC wrote:
Ack.  Does anyone know how this compares with Director or Flash

my hunch would be that director (shockwave) is in the neighborhood of java's numbers. but i believe that flash is 95% or above, macr really lucked out when they got netscape to bundle flash with navigator 4 or so (when it was a tiny little 30k plugin or whatever). sadly, at the time, i think java's numbers were around 90%.

the msft java thing is too bad. msft had a really excellent java 1.1 vm (at least for p5 stuff) that was (still is) 30% or more faster for processing-style work than sun's.

but they breached their contract and try to f-- with java, so sun sued the hell out of them to stop shipping their broken vm and won. but then after winning, sun's like "oh wait, but now you need to include *our* vm!" which is a little nutty, and i think there was no way the court was gonna go for that. it's just sad that msft had to do their usual thing.  

in hindsight, it probably would have been wiser for sun to leave the java 1.1 vm in place, since it would at least mean getting java out there, and it might be easier to get people to upgrade to 1.4+, or encourage dell/hp/etc to bundle java if more apps relied on it.

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »