MPE library (D. Schiffmann) problems: how to change the default screens number???

edited October 2013 in Library Questions

mac osX 10.6.8 mac bookPro processing 1.5.1, 2.0.3

dear P team, I have to work for a project for which MPE library seems useful. i began to work with 1.5.1 and the previous version of the library; everything ok with the examples for 2 displays. then i tried with 3 or 4 displays but have not found the way to change the defaults preferences (2 screens); there is no .ini file inside the library ("deprecated" it seems) and if i try with the command line in terminal i get that:

server nimac$ java -jar mpeServer.jar -verbose -framerate30 -screens3 * The "Most Pixels Ever" Wallserver. * This server can accept the following parameters from the command line: * -screens Total # of expected clients. Defaults to 2 * -framerate Desired frame rate. Defaults to 30 * -port Defines the port. Defaults to 9002 * -listener Turns on an optional port listener so that other apps can send data to the screens. * -listenPort Defines listening port. Defaults to 9003. * -debug Turns debugging messages on. * -ini Path to initialization file. Defaults to "mpeServer.ini". Please note the use of an INI file with the server is now deprecated. portableMACBOOK:server nimac$

----- but the server does not start... ---- if i only click on the .jar (mpeServer.jar), it starts but only with 2 screens (defaults)

i have also tried with P 2.0 and the new MPE version (august 2013) but get the same result (except that there is only 1 screen and not 2) even when i modify the .xml...

thanks in advance

Tagged:

Answers

• Hi akenation,

Are you trying to distribute the display of your sketch across multiple computers, or just have it span fullscreen across all the displays connected to a computer?

If you have one computer running it all, then I have had great luck using a chromeless window (without the title bar) and positioning it at 0,0. Here's a thread from the old forum that has some code snippets that show the tecnique: http://forum.processing.org/one/topic/full-screen-approach.html

If you are trying to network multiple computers and span across all displays, then MPE is probably your best choice. I can't really help you there, sorry :(

hope this helps! ak

• thanks for answering yes i want to display across 10 computers and a local tcp network. But the problem is now solved: the reason was that i used the new library with the old server .jar; having looked to the java files i have found the changes and now everything is ok.I can navigate throug the command line cd/ to the mpeServer.jar and launch it with args. Sometimes it crashes, i dont know why (pipe broken) but it does not occur very often so it does not matter for te moment. As for positionning, no problem: you must precise it into the .xml (new version) or in the .ini (old one) file. Nevertheless i was precisely trying to get windows WITHOUT title bars and so your answer is very useful for me!!!

thanks and best wishes....

• now my project is techhically ok

except ===

1) i want to capture 1 big image (webcam, let us say client.0, the master width, the master height) 2) dispatch it on the other clients, but with some limits, first screeen::: 0,500, second one 500, 1000 and so on

3) till now it does not work

4) is is possible to dispatch, broadcasting, some picture or video frame with mpe library???

not sure

code i use is : video.capture load pixels(); img = create image(width, height , RGB);

--- this img is a global one

----- which could be video.get(0,200) or ....

and tcp client (letus say 3) has to display it::::( but it does not work)

somebody has tryed???

thanks

• now my project is techhically ok

except ===

1) i want to capture 1 big image (webcam, let us say client.0, the master width, the master height) 2) dispatch it on the other clients, but with some limits, first screeen::: 0,500, second one 500, 1000 and so on

3) till now it does not work

4) is is possible to dispatch, broadcasting, some picture or video frame with mpe library???

not sure

code i use is : video.capture load pixels(); img = create image(width, height , RGB);

--- this img is a global one

----- which could be video.get(0,200) or ....

and tcp client (letus say 3) has to display it::::( but it does not work)

somebody has tryed???

thanks

• hy! i finally found the way to do that: --createImage(w, h, RGB); ///some event --video.get(); ---then save("I.jpg"); --sending message "imagesaved" to tcp clients ----in clients code: if (imagesaved){ PImage limage = loadImage("thepath/I.jpg"); image(limage, x, y); ---- that works ---- but i think that it could be better to send not the saved image but the buffered one --- any idea?

thanks

• testing this (bad???) solution on 1 computer was ok; but when i tried to test with other computers it failed: of course because the image was saved on the head computer and could not be accessed by the others. Solution (today!) was to put the head app in a public folder and to give to the others the local address of this folder on this computer:: on mac it runs. Testing i also saw that ethernet connection was required. Wifi does not work. Or it seems so!!! - Is it true??? Question remaining: faster to save() the img and getting it by its url or to send the buffered image to the clients without saving??? - I dont know, i shall try and see.

hoping that this experience can help somebody.

• wifi also works but not so fast. Trying now to send the image as an biteArray[];