GSoC Proposal - A Platform for Algorithmic Composition on p5.js-sound

Hi everyone!

My name is Jun Shern, I'm a 4th (final) year student studying Electrical and Electronic Engineering at Imperial College London, and I'd love to come on board with the Processing community for Google Summer of Code 2018!

I'm hoping to work on the project "Algorithmic Composition with p5.Sound" on the project-lists page. I've been a huge fan of p5.js for years, and it so happens the topic of my (in-progress) Master's project this year is "Human-Robot Collaboration for Musical Tasks", which focuses on algorithmic composition applied to the task of live music accompaniment by a robot (Find out more about my background on my website, and resume). It would be a huge joy and honour to get the chance to apply my knowledge to creating new p5.js-sound examples and features!

The main idea is that I intend to build up features and support materials to enable users to get involved with algorithmic composition on p5.js. This will involve some new features (see my issue about MIDI), new examples and documentation. For more details please have a look at my proposal document, and feel free to leave comments on the document or in this forum!

I have already approached Jason Sigal via email as my potential mentor, and have started some discussions about the project on the issues pages on GitHub here and here.

I'm in the process of outlining the main components of my proposal here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uWFplDpLht1E8JM7l-M7XvzfZjx5BCA5FpMWsLxAq2o/edit?usp=sharing, and would love to get some early feedback from any interested parties.

Nice to meet you all!

Comments

• edited March 2018

Here's Jeevan's proposal from last year about p5.js sound enhancements - abstract classes, sound design, and composition. It might be helpful. Best of luck.

• Awesome, thanks so much! Will surely refer to it for ideas. :)

• Hey everyone! I've just updated the document and added lots more information and detailed plans. Please have a look and let me know what you think!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uWFplDpLht1E8JM7l-M7XvzfZjx5BCA5FpMWsLxAq2o/

• Oh I would love to see more neural networks in processing, especially neural networks that generate music.

I like how detailed your project description is (: Just a random thought: as a user, I had some trouble in understanding musical analysis, and I would love to have an example that explained to me in the simplest way possible how music is analyzed. It would be very useful for music visualization!

• Hey picorana, thanks for the feedback!

I'm super excited to see how users can make use of neural nets in p5.js as well, will definitely aim to make it a part of the final deliverables.

Great suggestion in terms of musical analysis, I do agree that signal processing can be hard for a general audience to wrap their heads around, without being given the appropriate background. I didn't have this worked into my initial outline, but given that this is indeed a big part of p5.js-sound, I will try to add this onto my proposal under the umbrella of Peripheral Support objectives.

Cheers! :)

• Hi everyone! I've updated my proposal now based on feedback from this forum, comments on the doc, as well as latest discussions on the GitHub repo. Feel free to have a look and let me know if there is anything you would like to see more/less of!

Thanks! :D

• Hey everyone! Counting down to the last day of submission - I've made some (hopefully final) touch-ups and shifted around some priorities based on feedback and what is most needed for the project. Everything is up-to-date on the doc, and I've gone ahead and submitted it as the Final Proposal now.

Thanks everybody, and good luck to those participating!