Forum is back up after security update

2»

Comments

• the weird thing is that if you go to the discussions page (say) and view the page source then there is a pager right there in the html, it just doesn't show in the browser (search for NumberedPager)

• koogs is right. Here it is on the discussions page. But I have no idea about why it is not visible. NumberPager

• css is set to not display it

#Body .HomepageTitle, #Body .PageDescription, #Body .PageControls {
        font-size: 0px;
        display: none;

relevant bit starts at line 133 of custom.css. delete display:none and set font-size to 12px

would be possible to write a user css file that'll do this, but is best done for everybody by changing the forum version.

this, imo, is why we get so many repeat posts - they drop out of view and people write new questions rather than bumping the old ones.

• I'll fix this today

• Thank you a lot for your work @fjen !

I'm sorry but I found another little bug : when an asker accept an answer, the answer change its position (it's like the answer was written before the other answers and the whole discussion becomes hard to follow if you didn't follow it from the beginning.

For example, here : http://forum.processing.org/two/discussion/8855/how-to-draw-millions-of-points-efficiently-in-processing#latest

The best answer took the first position but it was one of the last message actually

• @tlecoz … comments are no longer removed and the "Best Answers" block now only lists links to the accepted comments.

• @koogs … pager should now be back on all pages

• Yes !!! I can see the page buttons at the bottom and I saw the modification you did to the best answer block ! Thank you a lot ! ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^

• I'm very sorry this took so long (new baby arrived in between) … happy you are happy now.

• edited May 2015

Congatulation for you baby ! :)

I'm trully sorry but I have an ultimate request if it's not too hard :)

When you write a comment and you push "enter" to start on a new line, it doesn't work. You need to push "enter" twice and then it works (but it acts like 2 "enter" not just one). Can you add the ability to just start at the beginning of a new line when we push "enter" just once , because it's not possible to do that right now.

It's not a big issue then if it's hard to solve, forget about it. But if it's easy, please please fix it ! ^:)^

Thank you again !

:bz

• @tlecoz ... what browser/system? for me enter works fine in Chrome/Mac

• edited May 2015

It works when you're writing, but not when you publish. I think it's the same for all because every new line in the forum has a free line just before

try to write exactly that, outside a code-area

line0
    line1

line0 line1

• I think that you will find that a blank line is required to indicate a new paragraph, it is part of the markup (AFAIK)

• Testing …

line1
    line2

• This works: end the line with two or more spaces as suggested here.

• line0
    line1

oh ok ! :) Another time, thank you ! :)

• @gotoloop … coffeescript syntax highlighting is back

• edited May 2015

I guess it's more likely being introduced for the 1st time rather than being "back". Thx! O:-)
    That is, I don't remember that <pre lang="coffeescript"> has ever worked before! @-)
    However, just like html:// interference, @ is also showing its buggy face as before: :(

• edited May 2015

The first for best answer works!

Best Answer
    Answer #41374 by Chrisir from May 6

Cool.

The double Enter to have a newline is an annoying part of Markdown. The GitHub-flavored version (only for comments, not for readme.md) lifts this rule, which is quite pointless in Web editing (where we have line wrapping) and very annoying as it messes source code not properly formatted.
    But I fear it would be very hard to "fix", having to hack the Markdown parser, which can't be done quickly...
    Indeed, I use the double space before Enter trick, but I find it annoying.

• Maybe it's easiest to update the result before to render it in the forum on the screen ? - I'm not good at html-stuff, it's just a suggestion -

• Not going to hack the Markdown parser, that would make any future updates complicated.

The double space "trick" is actually normal Markdown syntax. We should try to get used to that ...

• hmmm... Maybe it's possible to convert the breakline into a double space before to use the Markdown parser ? - still just a suggestion, I don't know if it's complex or not -

• edited May 2015

Another important issue that I have to deal everyday, everytime:
    All of the created forum threads defaults to "Discussion" instead of "Question"!
    For many it seems it was fixed b/c I'm doing it for every single thread for a couple of months already! :-&

• @gotoloop … i moved the ask a question button to the top … hope this helps?

• edited May 2015

Well, it all depends on whether folks gonna select it or not.
    Before the reset, we'd need to explicitly select "Discussion" in order to override the default "Question"... ~:>

• I agree. 90 % (at least) of new topics are for asking a question, so making this the default if users don't do anything would be nice. Even more now that the post order is fixed! :-)

Would be awesome, too, to be able (for moderators at least) to remove Answer / Rejected answer tags. If that's just an option of the plugin, for example.

• No, that plugin has no options at all … sorry.

• It would be nice if it was possible to change the label "Rejected answer", a bit offensive, to something else, like "Not an answer" or "Question still open".

• As a mod I find it nearly impossible to click on the little cog on the top right of a post when using my phone. It always chooses either the star or the checkbox or the hyperlink above. Can we tweak this to make it easier?

(Android, Firefox.)

• I agree with koogs on this I experience the same problem on a 10" Android tablet.