Error when trying to run sketch with SimpleOpenNI

edited June 2016 in Kinect

Hi all,

I followed the installation instructions as given here, but when i run the sketch I get the following error:

SimpleOpenNI Version 1.96
#
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
#  SIGILL (0x4) at pc=0x0000000157fe00b4, pid=472, tid=50203
#
# JRE version: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (7.0_45-b18) (build 1.7.0_45-b18)
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (24.45-b08 mixed mode bsd-amd64 compressed oops)
# Problematic frame:
# C  [libfreenect.0.1.2.dylib+0x40b4]  freenect_camera_init+0x178
#
# Failed to write core dump. Core dumps have been disabled. To enable core dumping, try "ulimit -c unlimited" before starting Java again
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# /Users/xxxxx/Documents/Processing/libraries/SimpleOpenNI/library/osx/hs_err_pid472.log
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
#   http://bugreport.sun.com/bugreport/crash.jsp
# The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.
# See problematic frame for where to report the bug.
#
After initialization:

Could not run the sketch (Target VM failed to initialize).
For more information, read revisions.txt and Help → Troubleshooting

I have the latest version of java and processing installed. I'm on MacOS 10.8.5. I did update processing, since i was still running 1.5.1. Anybody any idea about how to get the kinect camera working in processing 2.0?

Thank you!

Answers

• edited November 2013

I don't have Mac but this is what I did in windows 7 64 bit system when I had the same problem.

• It happens if your system doesn't have dedicated Graphics Card and you have used size(width, height , OPENGL/P3D/P2D) with any opengl render.
    • Sometimes even if you have graphics card it can also happen so in this case also use size without any opengl render. I don't know why this happens but once it happens to me so I removed these renders it worked fine.

I hope this work for you

• I have read that in another post (from you I believe) but no luck, none of the examples work. Some have a renderer, some not...

but thanks for the suggestion!

• edited November 2013

@jorrebor : Your internal Graphics card (Intel ) driver fails to load the graphics of the sketches so try updating the driver (uninstall and re-install ). I have found the solution here .Here you fill find the solution in the end of the post. He strike through the same error on Mac.

ig4icd64.dll is your Intel graphics driver try updating it. the crash is outside jvm/processing.

And if this is happening with every sketch (even blank) then try disabling your firewall and antivirus.

• I had the same problem. But I installed libfreenect.0.1.2.dylib and libusb-1.0.0.dylib at github site. https://github.com/kronihias/head-pose-estimation/tree/master/mac-libs

After installation, you shoud substitute for them at the same level.

I hope it is good information for you.

• @blyk, the post you're refering too is from someone who is one a windows machine. I am on a mac, my graphic card driver will most likely not be a dll file. But thanks for your effort though, i'm willing to follow every hint!

@atsushiTabata: what do you mean exactly by:

you shoud substitute for them at the same level

Put them in the same directory?

Thank you

• @jorrebor Oh, sorry.. I am not good at English. Did you download Simple-OpenNI from the link below? http://code.google.com/p/simple-openni/downloads/list

So are there libfreenect.0.1.2.dylib and libusb-1.0.0.dylib files at the following hierarchy? SimpleOpenNI/library/osx/OpenNI2/Drivers/

In my case, I replaced them with new ones which Mr./Ms. Kronlachner open to Github, then I succeeded to build. https://github.com/kronihias/head-pose-estimation/tree/master/mac-libs

Also I hope your case is the same as mine..

• @Atshusi, thanks a lot!!! It worked. Very strange though: i completely reinstalled my mac and the problem remained. While at the mac of my girlfriend the normal installation procedure did work.

• @jorrebor Wow... it is strange. I don't know. But I am happy the method solve the problem!!

• Cool, that worked for me too, Mac OS X Mavericks 10.9.4, MacBook Pro Mid/Late 2007 Intel Core 2 Duo. Thanks!

• Hi! I had the the exact same problem, but by replacing the libfreenect.0.1.2.dylib and libusb-1.0.0.dylib files i get the following error:

SimpleOpenNI Error: Can't open device:
    DeviceOpen using default: no devices found

Any ideas?

• I'm new to all this stuff (but have been a developer for a very long time). I have some experience programming on the Mac, for Arduino, but that's it. I'm having this same problem but really can't even figure out where to start with the solution mentioned here -- no idea how to go about with make, etc. Is there a resource where I could download an already make-d libfreenect and libusb?