Why the Android Mode would not start on my fresh install

edited November 2014 in Android Mode

Perhaps this will help another. I was trying to do a fresh install of Processing (2.2.1 in my case). I downloaded the zip file (processing-2.2.1-windows64) and unzipped them into \program files\Processing. I also installed the android sdk per the well documented directions in the google wiki. I then started Processing (from the application in \Program Files\Processing directory) and was nicely asked if I would like to have my workspace created in My Documents (this is customary and I said yes). However... no android mode option.

I dug around a while and learned that the processing IDE determines which modes to offer from the contents of the modes directory IN THE DIRECTORY STRUCTURE WHERE SKETCHES ARE STORED.

I copied EVERYTHING from \Program Files\Processing into ...\My Documents\Processing (including a folder called "Modes" which contained a folder called "AndroidMode".

As my daughter wrote "Walla! It Works!"

Lesson (learned at the expense of digging through the old forum) is that if you are having trouble getting the Windows version of Processing to go into Android Mode, look in My Documents for a folder called modes, and a subfolder called AndroidMode. If it isn't there, put it there!

And ignore the directive to extract into \Program Files. It ain't a good idea.

73 de KI7WV PocoJoe