Music as Character in 'The Turin Horse'

edited November 2014 in Share Your Work

Hi,

6e69d6ec46fcc9aa227a2216570fcf0e

This piece of data visualisation shows how the music in Bela Tarr's final film 'The Turin Horse' shapes and drives the narrative. On the image, the film time goes left to right in a linear manner and the volume of the music is shown with the height of the rectangles, similarly to soundwaves. Also, at each point where there's a volume change, the frame from the film at that point in time is drawn below the "soundwave", along with annotations marking each stage of the six-day structure of the film. Tarr regarded music in his films as a primary character and would shoot his films while listening to the music, so that the image and the sound have the same heartbeat.

I made this, because I feel Turin Horse is an incredibly enjoyable and moving film and I also like the work of composer Mihaly Vig very much.

You can view all the images and documentation here: https://www.behance.net/gallery/20959773/Music-as-Character-in-The-Turin-Horse

All feedback is very welcome. Most of all, I am curious whether you find this piece engaging and interesting and accessible.

I will share the code if anyone's interested.

Comments