exporting application - executable file

edited November 2014 in Using Processing

I am using Processing 2.2.1 version, Mac user. My program is just drawing simple shapes and move it,no serial function. I have exported my code on my Mac. There is executable file. (application.macosx/myfile ) It is working well my mac. I emailed this executable file to my other mac computer, but I got a Zip file and there is no executable file.

How can I share my executable file with other computer or person? OR how to make a general executable file for sharing?

Answers

• edited November 2014

"I emailed this executable file to my other mac computer, but I got a Zip file and there is no executable file."
    Uh? The mail system transformed your executable file to a zip file?

OK, now, I vaguely recall a similar issue.
    I guess the file was sent without information about its nature. The client on the other Mac found out such file and tried to guess its nature. Somehow, it found it was a zip file. Well, if that's a jar, it is indeed a zip file.

Some possible solutions:

• Use another way to share the file. Dropbox, some online upload service, network connection, USB key, etc.
    • Try and rename the .zip file to .jar; and change the file type to make it executable.

Will guess for the second item, as I don't know how Mac manages executable files.

• edited November 2014

Will guess for the second item, as I don't know how Mac manages executable files.

Me neither. But since MacOS is somewhat based on FreeBSD UNIX kernel, setting executable flag to a file is the same as in Linux. Right-click on it and select Properties -> Permissions -> Execute -> (Anyone).

And if 1 is "courageous", use chmod in some terminal: chmod +x name_of_file <):)