Complex curves / morphing

edited June 2014 in How To...

Hi everyone,

English is not my mother tongue so I'm gonna try to make sense but forgive me if I'm a bit messy with the technical terms.

I'm a total novice to Processing. I discovered it last year and I've been experimenting with it since only a few months. I'm graduating in Graphic Design and my final project is using generative and interactive design.

So far I managed to achieve what I wanted with my basic knowledge, tutorials and a bit of logic but I now need to do something more specific to my project and can't find a good way to do it.

It might be a little complicated and I don't even know if it's really doable for a programming rookie.

On the first hand, I want to generate a logo, that I have so far designed with Illustrator. The issue is, I used the blend tool in AI, and to make my logo evolve in processing, I'd have to replicate the effect of this tool using processing. On this logo, only the "T" in the middle and the external curve are predefined, and illustrator generates the steps in the interval. I have a hard time explaining this, so maybe an image will be more explicit: Capture d’écran 2014-06-01 à 12.34.01

On the second hand, I want to generate complex curves that could be modified by a bunch of variables (like 3 or 4). So far I have tried bezier curves but as soon as you have more than 2 or 3 points it becomes really complicated to deal with all the coordinates. The kind of curves I would like to achieve: Capture d’écran 2014-06-01 à 12.33.36

And bonus question: I tried to render some tests with my non-moving logo, using a png image of the vector logo exported from AI and also by writing all of its coordinates (using the Drawscript extension for AI, very useful). In both case, processing displays an angular and somehow low res version of the smooth curves I have in AI and on my png. Using a jpeg version solve the issue, the image is smooth but it appears that it's too heavy to run the script without reducing significantly the framerate.

Here is an image of what it looks like: Capture d’écran 2014-06-01 à 12.37.47

If you have any info that might help, even on just one of these issues, I'd be glad if you shared it with me.

Thank you!

Answers

• Answer ✓

That last one, I am guessing, is because you are repeatedly drawing an image with transparency, so the alpha is building up over time. Add noLoop() to the bottom of setup () and it should be OK.

• edited June 2014

Thanks koogs, that actually worked for that issue!

Edit: I accidentally marked the post as "answered", but I still need to find a way to program these complex curves, how do I delete this "accepted answer" thing?