rotating circles

I'm trying to make a function which can be called to draw multiple circles rotating at different directions and with variable radii. The problem is that the circle's X and Y positions don't change, I've tried removing the code from the function and just placing it in the main and it works fine. (after i declare the variables of course). side question: why is the radius of rotation not equal the variable r? i'm assuming it has something to with the rate of change of the cos(inc)/sin(inc), but i'm not sure what exactly the relation is. here it is:

void setup ()
{size(500,500);
  }

void draw ()
{ 
  background(255); 
  circle(250,20,10,0.1,0.1);
}
void circle(float x,float y, float r, float pos, float step)
{
  fill(0);
  ellipse(x,y,25,25);
  x+=r*cos(pos);
  y+=r*sin(pos);
  pos+=step;
}

Answers

• edited May 2014 Answer ✓

draw() runs 60 times per second

you give x and y as a parameter to the function and thus the old x and y are overwritten (or in fact forgotten since they only exist while the function circle runs: They are as parameters only locale variables)

you could define those variables with a global scope (at sketch level). Thus the changes would remain permanent.

[EDITED] you also mixed up the formula a bit - I corrected that now. (making what I said before mainly invalid except for pos)

// circle center 
    float x=250;
    float y=250;

// that is added to the angle
    float pos=0.1;

void setup ()
    {
      size(500, 500);
    }

void draw ()
    { 
      background(255);