Processing is very difficult to use under linux!

edited April 2014 in Using Processing

Hello. Couldn't you provide processing under the Ubuntu Software Center as a one click installation? You provide no clear instruction about how to use the tgz file under linux. While I could install it under ~/documents/processing.1xxx and run it with the command sudo ./processing inside this directory I'd like to have a link for it.

Answers

• This is just the Processing forum. You aren't talking directly to the developers of Processing.

You should just be able to unpack the tgz file and use it as a directory. There is no "installation" involved.

• Yeah, but I can only use it via the terminal: sudo ./processing Inside the directory. By doubleclick it will show me the file in my text-editor.

• i don't use ubuntu but this might help:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/76342/how-can-i-add-a-bash-script-to-the-unity-launcher

(this is more accurately a ubuntu problem, not a linux problem)

also, you shouldn't need to sudo the processing script, it's a really bad idea, security-wise.

• ./processing works thanks.

But the link doesn't help me either. Where is the suggested place for processing under Ubuntu? Currently it sits under ~/Documents/processing

And how do I create an Icon for Unity sidebar (not the desktop)?

• mine's under /opt but then i'm old-school. /usr/local is probably more correct

(i use /opt as /usr/local is, by default, under the root partition and i share my processing installation with a bunch of different distros / don't want to lose it during a reinstall.)

the unity sidebar was the reason i ditched ubuntu so i can't help you there.

• I don't have sufficient rights to unpack anything there. How to?

• in a terminal window

sudo su -

should give you root permissions. ctrl-d to exit

• While I could install it under ~/documents/processing.1xxx and run it with the command sudo ./processing inside this directory I'd like to have a link for it.

Hint: symbolic links or "symlinks"

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1951742/how-to-symlink-a-file-in-linux

• Empedokles,

In Ubuntu, right click on the Processing file, select properties, select permissions tab, and check "allow executing file as program"

Now when you double click Processing should run instead of a script opening in the text editor.

• edited April 2014

My "Processing.desktop" file content:

[Desktop Entry]
    Encoding=UTF-8
    Version=1.0
    Name=Processing 2
    Name[en_US]=Processing 2
    Comment=Processing
    Comment[en_US]=Processing
    Type=Application
    Categories=Programming
    Exec=/home/goto/processing-2.0.2/processing
    Icon=/home/goto/processing-2.0.2/lib/icons/pde-512.png
    Terminal=false
    StartupNotify=true

• edited April 2014

sudo su - should give you root permissions. ctrl-d to exit

Unfortunately I can't still unpack it to /opt via this file unpacker.

• dttworld,

In Ubuntu, right click on the Processing file, select properties, select permissions tab, and check "allow executing file as program"

Now when you double click Processing should run instead of a script opening in the text editor.

Unfortunately still not. But the standard-app is sublime text here. What would the standard-application for processing be?

• [Desktop Entry] Encoding=UTF-8 Version=1.0 Name=Processing 2 Name[en_US]=Processing 2 Comment=Processing Comment[en_US]=Processing Type=Application Categories=Programming Exec=/home/goto/processing-2.0.2/processing Icon=/home/goto/processing-2.0.2/lib/icons/pde-512.png Terminal=false StartupNotify=true

How and where did you create this file and where is processing lying?

• Unfortunately I can't still unpack it to /opt via this file unpacker.

i have a feeling you're sudoing in a terminal and then using a gui tool to unzip the package. which won't work - the sudo will only apply to commands typed in that same window. typed.

but no matter - you already know that you can unzip and run processing from anywhere. so put it where you want it (/home/empdokles/processing?) and then use that address in your .desktop file

• Exactly. How do I make a sudo-like-command inside the GUI unpacker-window? I placed it in my home folder now.

• this has some instructions

https://www.processing.org/tutorials/gettingstarted/

follow them and you'll end up with the system set up how you have it right now 8)

so concentrate on the .desktop file (i can't help you there, unfortunately - no unity)

• edited April 2014

How and where did you create this file and where is processing lying?

I've made in some regular text editor. The Exec= & Icon= paths refer to my particular installation.
    Which is merely where I've decompressed the downloaded file! ~O)

Another thing I've done was removing the "/java" subfolder to force it to use the system's JDK! :ar!