Can I use Processing and Android target with ADT ASK Bundle ?

edited March 2014 in Android Mode

Hi,

I've read instructions and all of the recomend installation of Android SDK in form for "other GUI". But if I want to sign appliaction and do some additional development I need also ADT SDK Bundle - that is basically another form of same (similar software)...

Can I use ADT SDK Bundle also when developing in Processing for Android target ? I guess I could develope app further easier....

Thanks in advance, regards, Bulek.

Tagged:

Answers

• I'm afraid that I don't entirely understand your question. I believe that you are asking about the use of the ADT (Eclipse) to develop Processing sketches.

My general advice about the ADT is to use it for signing sketches for production because it makes the process much easier than it is from the command line (and the PDE doesn't yet have this feature). It is also possible to develop sketches in Eclipse, and this may become a necessity if one is continuously signing and releasing updates to their application (the export of sketches from the PDE to Eclipse, while not difficult, can be painstaking if one is required to do it repeatedly). For most use cases, however, using the PDE or Eclipse should be a matter of preference.

• Hi,

thanks for help and information... Let me explain why I'm asking this question... I've written simple app in Processing and used Android target sucessfully - I can run app on Tablet without problem (I can even use produced unsigned apk file to distribute app to my friends). But then I export project, import it into ADT and then I go through signing process and produce apk file that doesn't work on my tablet (and I guess on many other Android devices). It just says "Parse error: ..." when installing apk..

But if I do frequent signing in ADT bundle, then I ask this question - what if I would use ADT Bundle also as sdk under Processing ? If I understand right, I have basically installed android sdk twice (once as "other GUI" and once as ADT bundle)...

Thanks in advance, regards, Bulek.

• There are many different things that could be causing this problem.

Try uninstalling the old version of your app (signed with a debug certificate) and then installing the release-signed version. I have needed to do this in the past, although this solution does not directly apply to your error message.

When exporting from the ADT, you may have accidentally changed the minimum API level. If I am correct (from one of your previous posts), your tablet runs Android 4.2.2, which is API level 17. By default, Processing's minimum supported API level is API level 10. You may have set this to 18 or 19 in the ADT, which would cause this error.