Problems with MIDIBus Libary

edited March 2014 in Library Questions

Hey there,

I'm trying to use the MIDIBus library, but already when using the "Basic" example it gives me an error:

The MidiBus Warning: No available input MIDI devices named: "Java Sound Synthesizer" were found

Available MIDI Devices: ----------Input---------- [0] "Real Time Sequencer" ----------Output---------- [0] "Gervill" [1] "Real Time Sequencer"

I would like to use Processing to create some MIDI data and send it via some virtual port to some soft synth. Does somebody has an idea how I could do this?

I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 (64Bit) and Processing 2.1

Thanks

Tagged:

Answers

• The default parameters that are set up in that example includes this on line 24:

myBus = new MidiBus(this, -1, "Java Sound Synthesizer"); // Create a new MidiBus with no input device and the default Java Sound Synthesizer as the output device.

You could change this to, for example myBus = new MidiBus(this, -1, "Real Time Sequencer"); which would give you an output to the Real Time Sequencer device.

You'll need to use an external utility to set up the virtual MIDI port. I'm afraid I don't know how to do that on Linux — it's done through the audio configuration on OS X and via a program like MidiLoop on Windows. I imagine there will be something similar available if you search. That should let you give it a name (e.g. myVirtualMidiPort), and you could then use myBus = new MidiBus(this, "myVirtualMidiPort", "myVirtualMidiPort");

That should give you MIDI I/O on the virtual port which you could then access in your other application.

Hope that helps.

• Thanks for the help. I finally managed to get it up and running with the virtual MIDI ports. I created them with: sudo modprobe snd-virmidi and then connected them via Jack to some soft synth (Qsynth).