How to overlap images with interaction

I'd like to create a program that has one image on top of the other and then when I move the cursor, the top image is erased to reveal the bottom one. But I'm a total beginner and have no clue where to start. Does anyone have advice on how I could achieve something like this? I've managed to code so that one image loads but I can't figure out how to overlay a second one or to do the interaction bit.

Answers

• You can just call image () twice with the same coordinates and the second image will obscure the first.

But in your case I think the second image should be a pgraphic. You can then modify this, draw things on it, change the transparency of parts of it so that the first picture shows through.

https://processing.org/reference/PGraphics.html

• Thank you so much for your response. In order to make the second image a Pgraphic, do I have to tell it to to load the image somehow?

• please don't post duplicates

your code from the (now deleted) duplicate:

I've currently written this code and have two images loaded. I want the first one (the female computers one) to be at half opacity and the male computers image to be at full opacity. How would I change this code to tell it to use the different images? Right now it only uses one image for both.

PImage img; 
    float offset = 0;
    float easing = 0.05;

void setup() {
      size(638,385);
      img = loadImage("Female computers.jpeg");
      img = loadImage("post war male computers.jpg");
    }
    void draw() {
      background(0);
      image(img,0,0);
       image(img, 0, 0);  // Display at full opacity
      float dx = (mouseX-img.width/2) - offset;
      offset += dx * easing; 
      tint(255, 127);  // Display at half opacity
      image(img, offset, 0);
    }

• Answer ✓

you've assigned both images to img, it's no wonder it won't work. define a second image and use that instead.

• I apologize for the double posting. I didn't think I was supposed to post code in the "How To" section - sorry! Thank you for your help.

• (you can edit the category using the cog at the top there)