How do I use a software synth with Midibus ?

edited March 2018 in Library Questions

I have a sketch that works fine with an external synth connected via a USB/midi adapter.

However, I can't get it to work with Timidity or FluidSynth. They don't appear in the list of MIDI outputs, even though they appear in the output of 'aplaymidi -l'. Similarly, the names that MidiBus lists don't appear in the alsa lists.

However, I can play midi files using the alsa player (either FLUID Synth or the external synth, though I couldn't get Timidity to makje a sound - aiui that's due to a pulseaudio problem). I can't play sounds using the MidiBus Basic example using either 'Gervill' or 'Real Time Sequencer' - there's no error, but no sound either. Again, it works fine using the extrernal synth, though it has a different name for the MIDI port than alsa.

I don't really understand MIDI, at least from a software point of view. This might be a miscomprehension about the the differences between midi or rawmidi ports, or some other error. Please feel free to explain in the most basic terms !

Available MIDI Devices:
----------Input----------
[0] "Real Time Sequencer"

----------Output----------
[0] "Gervill"
[1] "Real Time Sequencer"

aplaymidi -l
Port Client name Port name
14:0 Midi Through Midi Through Port-0
128:0 FLUID Synth (28730) Synth input port (28730:0)

I'm using Debian 9 (uname says 4.9.0-5-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.65-3+deb9u2), Processing 3.3.6 and MidiBus 8.

Tagged: