Project Proposal - Creating a Kick-start Manual for Architects and Urban Designers

Namaste..!

My name is Milind Goel. I completed my Bachelors in Architecture from School of Planning and Architecture Delhi (India's oldest and highest ranked institute of architecture studies), securing a double gold medal. My primary focus was on computational designs and research on emergence.

While exploring algorithmic thinking in form generation, during my undergraduate dissertation at my Alma mater and my current research project at the University of Auckland, I realised that Processing has several applications in architecture and urban design. However, I found out that although processing was popular amongst creative professionals in the visual arts, students / professionals from architecture and urban studies are not aware of the platform.

Whenever I introduce Processing to people engaged in computational design, I always receive a positive response. However, based on the feedback I received, the problem behind the lack of awareness (and exploration) is that there are no introductory code-examples / guides that directly relate to architects and urban designers, since a programming language is not something they learn unless it plugs-in into a mainstream 3D-modelling software (like Python, VB...)

I intend to create examples (and re-purpose some existing ones) to introduce processing to architects and urban designers, and illustrate how the programming language can be leveraged for everyday tasks and challenges in architecture and urban-design.

Although this project is atypical compared to the projects listed by Processing Foundation for Google Summer of Code 2018, I believe it can help introducing the platform to a new demographic. This would not only be beneficial to architects and urban designers, but also result in discussion and development of libraries that can expand the visual functionality of the Processing platform in future. It will also be in sync with the agenda of enabling more and more people to benefit from the advantages that the platform provides.

The examples / walk-though created can be posted online as a WordPress website, or shared as a compiled PDF.

I was wondering if I was on the right track, and if yes, how can I improve the project brief.

Sincerely, Milind Goel

Comments

• Thank you for the post @Milind! The idea sounds exciting, however, I wonder if it would be more suitable to our fellowship program. GSoC has strict requirements in terms of the "code" aspect of proposals. So a community / documentation / education project is not eligible for GSoC. We started the fellowship program as a way of funding projects that aren't necessarily "code"-specific.

• Thank you for the prompt response @shiffman! I had a little fan-boy moment there, as I was introduced to processing through 'The Nature of Code' book while writing my dissertation on emergence. So it was super-exciting to hear directly from you!

Based on your advice, I looked up the fellowship program. However, the deadline for the 2018 fellowships has expired three months ago. Is it possible for me to restructure / modify the proposal to be code-specific for GSoC and still retain its original goal? (For example, I could produce original code-samples.)

I would have applied for the 2019 fellowship program next year, but by then I'd be right in the middle of my masters program starting this September.

• Yes, I would still encourage you to apply to GSoC! However, I would just make sure to read through all of their FAQs and make sure your proposal complies with the requirements. Creating a library / examples would certainly qualify.

• Ah! Thank you for setting me on the right track @shiffman! I will give it a go! :)>-

• edited March 2018

It sounds great!

First idea is my old idea of plaza generator. You would have an plaza editor where you can draw the ground floor plan of a plaza with trees and lakes and benches and surrounding buildings.

• I asked that here some years ago.

• You can save and load your plaza.

• With a second sketch you would then load the plaza and be able to walk through it in a first person perspective. See library QueasyCam.

• You can save screenshots here or even render some using POVray or so. Maybe you can even do modifications like moving a bench or tree.

• Same is possible of course as two different modes of one sketch.

• Also possible for interior design of a living room/ inside of a house

Chrisir

• @Milind -- one thing to consider (if your audience is architects) is whether there are data formats they can bring into Processing and get out of Processing for interoperation with their existing tools -- so you may want to look closely at loadShape and existing examples for 3D model data while considering what is already possible that could help you.

• Dear @Chrisir,

Apologies for the late reply.

The example of the plaza-editor is very interesting. I was thinking of doing something similar, with street sections - where users can edit and rearrange streets quickly, and then save the results as a sequence of images.

I checked out the QueasyCam library, and its a really interesting starting point. Thank you for that!

I am really glad you liked my idea and took the time to give me some pointers.

Best, Milind

• Dear @jeremydouglass,

Checking files' compatibility between Processing and CAD software had completely skipped the my mind. Thank you for that.

This was partly because I think dedicated CAD software are more than capable of handling 3D design and modelling tasks. I was more interested in using Processing for the creative and exploration pursuits in architecture. A lot of sketching and documentation which is usually done manually (and repeatedly) can be automated and improved using processing. This would really aid the design development phase, I believe.

However, now that you have mentioned it, I have begun to think that if the resultant image / data can be exported into a common format that CAD software can read, it will be a huge advantage.

I'll try to incorporate this into my final proposal.

Best, Milind

• Glad it was a helpful suggestion, @Milind. Often a big selling point for people on using a new "brainstorm / sketch" method is if they can then bring some result of that process into their familiar processes -- or, conversely, if they can bring assets out of their normal process into the creative brainstorm area. This doesn't mean you have to focus on integration, of course! -- just that if you think through how compatibility would work then knowing how might be helpful when planning how to address your audience.

• Dear @shiffman,

Thank you once again for your guidance!

I have submitted the draft proposal to the Processing foundation for review before the final GSoC submission deadline. I would be very grateful if you could give me some feedback on my proposal.

Sincerely Milind

• Can you include a link to your proposal here or reference the title so I can match it up with this thread?

• Ref: @kjhollen, @shiffman

Hi!

I had submitted my draft proposal on the 18th through the GSoC portal. I was wondering if I could improve it before the final submission! I am really keen on getting your feedback, if possible...

Title: Dedicated Processing Library / Examples for Architects and Urban Designers Link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Uw-zh7sOXhWglWvLOq4RZ1IIFybpcfa_KKMseYyNwQQ/edit?usp=sharing

Thank you!

Sincerely, Milind

• Thanks @Milind! I've read over your proposal and it's well researched and thoughtful. Thank you for taking the time to write it.

• Dear @shiffman,

Thank you for your feedback, and I am really glad you found some merit in it! =)

Sincerely, Milind