GSOC 2018 - Analytical Visualization Tools Project

Hello all,

My name is Christine, and I'm interested in creating a proposal for the analytical visualization tools project. I'd like to create example visualizations for my proposal, and I was wondering if there were relevant Processing statistics I could use for the examples. The description that I linked says that statistics can be seen manually (via the command line?), but I don't know how to go about doing this.

Any help would be much appreciated! :)

Comments

• Answer ✓

The description that I linked says that statistics can be seen manually (via the command line?

I believe what they mean is that they have a database will all the info they collect from us and they analyze this data using some scripts on their end. They want to automate this analysis process. There could be a post in the forum where some info was shared but that was a while ago and sadly I couldnt find it. It is better if you write to the foundation directly for this inquire, unless they address your inquire directly here in the forum.

foundation@processing.org

Kf

• At the moment all of the data is only available internally. The idea for this project would be to visualize and expose the data in a more public way. For your proposal I would suggest creating example visualizations using other data or even made up data would be ok. Thanks for your interest!

• Thank you so much for the responses! :) I will use other data sets for the examples.

• @christinehu https://github.com/processing/processing/wiki/Usage-Statistics

You could also make suggestions of what other data could be relevant, or should be acquired and present ideas of how to use it. Please keep in mind I am not familiar with GSOC so what I am saying might not apply to you or to the process.

Kf

• @kfrajer thank you for this link, I had forgotten about it!

• edited February 2018

@kfrajer Wow, thank you so much for that resource! That's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.

• I've been familiarizing myself with the d3 library, and I'm planning on making a sample pie chart with Processing stats over the weekend.

The more I poke around, the more questions I have! :o As of now, I'm not sure if there is enough work in this project to fill three months. I definitely have to do some brainstorming about other ways to incorporate statistics/visualizations (perhaps in the ide itself?), or find another small project I can do.

I'd also love to reach out to Mr. Reas himself, as the wiki lists him as a possible mentor, but in all honesty, I am very intimidated! Does anyone know if it is appropriate to email him at info@reas.com, or should I wait until after results are out and the community bonding period begins?

• Nice work with the sample chart! While D3 is a wonderful library for data visualization and I wouldn't exclude it as an aspect of your proposal, it would be nice to imagine ways the visualizations could be created using Processing and/or p5.js. Having the visualizations on the website made with the tools they describe is important.

(Perhaps related this D3 + p5 cookbook: http://sciutoalex.github.io/p5-D3-cookbook/)

• As an alternative, you should consider exploring the R project work done recently in Processing (Processing.R) and see if you could use it for this purpose. I believe @jeremydouglass was involved in this initiative and with a little effort and imagination, it could be integrated in your proposal, or could be an alternative to your proposal. This concept is as good as any other concept that you might have or that you could come up with using (Sorry, I dunno anything about D3)

Kf

• @kfrajer -- great point mentioning Processing.R (which @gaocegege did for for Google Summer of Code 2017). I suspect p5.js might be preferred in this case, however -- Processing.R isn't direct-to-web, it is desktop.

• I agree that p5.js is preferred. Thanks for mentioning :)

• @shiffman -- thank you so much for the clarification! I would have headed in the wrong direction otherwise, and that link looks like an excellent resource.

Also @gaocegege Processing.R looks amazing! And thanks @kfrajer for all of your help thus far :)

• @christinehu

I am interested in the idea! Glad to help you to review your proposal if you need, although I am not a mentor :-)