Class not recognized if in another tab

edited November 2017 in Using Processing

I have no clue why this is happening, but tabs are useless for me because classes in other tabs are not recognized.

I have checked my syntax a hundred times and can confirm with absolute certainty that all the syntax for my classes is 10000000% correct.

What is a possible reason for this problem?

Answers

• how do we spot syntax errors in code that we can't see?

• I'm approximately 87.65% that you have a missing or extra bracket {} on one tab, and the class is failing on the tab immediately after it. But without seeing your code... :-??

If all else fails, cutting and pasting all your tabs into one document and trying that as a separate sketch is a good way to pin this down.

• It was really strange. Simply copying the classes from the other tabs and pasting them in the main tab made the sketch work, so I’m pretty sure it wasn’t a syntax error. Anyway, I worked on the sketch in the main tab for a while, then moved them back to seprate tabs and it worked fine.

• It is so easy in copy and paste to miss a curley brace {} which would change the whole structure of the program.

Did you look at the 'Errors' tab in the IDE?

• Sometimes the Processing IDE has an odd paste error where the last character of a paste to tab is not processed correctly. Never pinned it down, but it might have something to do with the copy (or the paste) not ending in a line break. Anyway, this sometimes might be why a closing bracket (the last character of a paste / in a tab) sometimes goes missing for the compiler even though the programmer did not forget to type it.

Although much of the type it is actually user error -- at least for me.

• @jeremydouglass

I can confirm that the same or a similar bug is happening for me. It happened again and after deleting and retyping the last few characters in the paste, the class was recognized correctly.

• Here is an open issue -- if you could contribute a comment about how exactly it is happening to you as well, that might help track down a solution.

https://github.com/processing/processing/issues/4649