How to get rid of predictable random() results

edited August 2017 in Library Questions

Hey guys,

I am trying to make a surface using ISurface command of igeo library and I used a 2d array of vector points to create the surface and I set a random value for z parameter of each point. but it appears random function is not that much random and it generates repetitive values. so anyone knows how to get really random values?

Tagged:

Answers

• edited August 2017
    import processing.opengl.*;
    import igeo.*;

size(800, 600, IG.GL);
    int numU = 100;
    int numV = 100;

IVec[][] crv = new IVec[numU][numV];

for (int i=0; i<numU; i++) {
      for (int j=0; j<numV; j++) {
        crv[i][j] = new IVec(i*2-100, j*2-100, random(1)*5*(sin(i*0.2)+1)); 
      }
    }
    new ISurface(crv);

• What makes you think you aren't getting random values?

• What makes you think you aren't getting random values?

Because as you see in image there is a constant cycle that changes all values in each row in U direction : form 0 to near 5 and 0 again.

• edited August 2017 Answer ✓

You may want to look at section 1.6+ on this page (Excersize 1.10 in fact is what you're trying to do) and instead use perlin noise instead. With a sin wave, you'll consistently be multiplying a random number by a repeating variable, which over time will have the same general trend. This is even more of a problem when multiplying near the zeros of the sin wave, since the value i will be multiplied by will be extremely small, which will lead to that repeating flat ground pattern.

Perlin noise uses different clever math that makes a lot more natural looking random landscape which I believe is what you're looking for.

• Answer ✓

Try:

random(1)*5

instead of:

random(1)*5*(sin(i*0.2)+1)

on line 12.

Does that fix it?

• You were right TfGuy44! I made a silly mistake