How do I time animations when i'm using an array?

edited April 2017 in Questions about Code

I have here code that randomly either increments or decrements an x value using an array and a loop. The loop goes through and picks either an incrementation or a decrementation at random. It then stores that in an array. It goes through 4 loops and outputs 4 x values at each loop. I then use those 4 values and put them in 4 vertex(). The desired result is a shape where each vertex moves about randomly on the canvas.

What I would like to implement is a time delay on the change between increment and decrement. I want to make each point travel in one direction for at least 3000 milliseconds before it might change direction again. I have tried using an if-statment that checks if 3 seconds have passed before it runs the part of the code that randomly chooses an increment or a decrement. The problem is that it only checks every 3000 milliseconds overall, rather than checking if 3000 milliseconds have passed for each single x-value. Basically what I need is for the code to check each spot in the x[] array and see if 3000 milliseconds have passed since it randomly incremented or decremented. Hope I've explained in enough detail.

Here's the code I have written:

int lastTimeCheck;
int timeIntervalFlag = 3000; 
float[] x = new float[4];
float[] incr = new float [4];
void setup() {
  smooth();
  size(500, 707);
  stroke(255);
  lastTimeCheck = millis()/4;
  noFill();
}