How can I clear queued mouse pressed

edited February 2017 in Programming Questions

If I click on mouse button and it starts doing process.

If i click while it is doing something , when it is done it automatically does it again because mouse pressed is true again i assume because of the stored mouse click button pressed variable

Is there some way to clear the mouse button or set mouse pressed to false by force after each

Answers

• @jeffmarc -- Please provide a short example code here to show the specific problem that you are having.

It sounds like you are using mousePressed() -- which fires every frame (~60 times a second) while the mouse is being pressed. Instead, try using mouseClicked() -- which fires once when the mouse button is released and does not fire again until the mouse is pressed and then released again.

• tryed both, it acts like it is storing mouse clicks to be processed in a que. When the program is done with the process in draw() it pick up the next button click and does it again! without me touching anything.

• this only happens if i click the mouse button more than once during the scanning Pressing the mouse starts a scan from a flatbed scanner. the program waits until is is done and the file appears in the directory than continues.

• @jeffmarc --

I see -- I incorrectly guessed your problem was with the default fps 60 because you didn't provide any information on how the problem arises. Providing a short example code to show your specific problem is best when you need help.

You are correct -- each click is queued and then the queue is processed between draw() calls. If there is a long gap between draw calls and you click, clicks will be queued.

If you want to ignore the mouse clicks during a particular program state, just turn that mouse code off with a conditional flag -- then turn the code back on when the program resumes.

Here is an example that throws away click events while waiting is true:

boolean waiting;

void draw(){
      waiting = false;
    }

void keyPressed(){
      scan();
    }

void scan(){
      waiting = true;
      println("freeze while we scan for 5 seconds");
      delay(5000);
    }

void mouseClicked(){
      if(waiting){ return; } // ignore mouse while waiting
      println("click!");
    }

This code can also be modified to check if any clicks happened when it resumes and then produce a single click rather than many.

There may be other ways of manipulating the event queue at a lower level, but this should be a simple and flexible way of accomplishing what you want.