Processing for IOS

edited December 2016 in Using Processing

I just downloaded the Processing app for my Iphone. I am wondering can I run sketches I've written on my laptop on this app? I cannot find a tutorial for this? do I have to write a brand new sketch on the app?

Tagged:

Answers

• The thing is, that app is not official (or is it?). So there are no tutorials. Just copy the code from laptop to your iPhone (manually or otherwise). iOS does not support Java, hence there won't probably be any future official app for iOS, even if they make one for Android.

• None of the iOS apps are official -- they were all written by individual developers -- you probably want to contact the maker for questions and support.

Which one did you buy?

• @jeremydouglass They are mostly free, so I doubt if anyone would pay money for them.

• Some options for iOS apps -- none of them are "official":

• Processing iCompiler -- Free
    • Processing for Dummies -- $0.99
    • Processing for iPhone is $1.99
    • Processing for iOS (Javascript) -- Free
    • p5* -- Free
  • What I don't understand is why there is no p5.js app either. p5.js can run on iOS can't it?(I think so because JavaScript can run in any browsers)

• There is - the "p5*" app is p5.js for iOS.

• edited December 2016

Yeah so I downloaded both the p5* and the Processing for iPhone. They work ok, it's a pain to do any coding on a phone so generally I have to code on my computer then email the code and copy and paste it... annoying.

The real issue I'm having though is that as far as I can tell there is no way to import images, extensions, or other files. For example I want to load an array of images I have, which is normally not an issue, I would just put the images into a folder with my sketch and then use an array list to call the images, but on the p5* app for iOS I have no place to put images or sound files to call them with an array list. Further the app doesn't seem to have extensions like Audio.In(), which is a bummer.

I'm quite new to coding and my goal is to move into building an app or apps. Currently it may be an over estimation to say that I'm proficient in p5.js, processing, and Netlogo... Any suggestions of where I go next to move more into actual app design?

Thanks for the help!

• Sorry I forgot to add thanks for your help!

• @jeremydouglass I meant official p5.js app.

• edited December 2016 Answer ✓

@wjsandbe -- Do you want to design Android apps or iOS apps? Or either?

For Android, check out Processing Android Mode.

There is no easy way to write a native iOS app using Processing that I am aware of. If you want to make iOS apps, you should either use a development platform that lets you cross-compile mobile apps or you should write then in Apple's native app languages -- either Swift or Objective C.