Creating object files externally

edited November 2016 in How To...

Does anybody have experience creating 3D objects using external libraries and then loading them in processing using loadShape() or any other library? I am more interested to know about obj files. I have interests on obj files as it is my impression that svg files seem to follow a standard format. However, for obj files, is there a specific format that processing manages?

Also, is it possible for processing to create obj files? What external libraries could open thesefiles? I am more interested to have a general idea of what people know and what is available. Related to obj files, I saw a recent posting working with the STL files and it was very impressive: https://forum.processing.org/two/discussion/comment/77406/#Comment_77406

Thanks for your comments,

Kf

Answers

• I tried researching about obj objects once, but what I realised is that of all the libraries I tried, none of them could properly export .obj files with textures.
    However, all were successful for .obj files without textures or colours and one worked even with colours.
    I recommend that you create your .obj files in some external program, then load it into Processing using loadShape.
    loadShape() should be able to work even with material properties and textures.