assistance in creating a graph

edited November 2016 in How To...

I have to load a table into processing that displays the past year of stock prices for a specific company (11/1/2015 - 11/1/2016) that displays the high, low, open, and close prices of each day as well as the date. I then have to implement this table in order to display the stock process over the year for the stock. I have to create a graph in processing that shows the trends. I have to use "shape commands," average, moving average, floats and arrays. I have the table saved in exel as a csv.

I'm totally lost in all of this. I'm not sure how to load the table into the sketch, or what any of the commands i have to use mean, or how/where to use them in the sketch. any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated, i'm new to processing and need whatever help that can be provided.

Tagged:

Answers

• Try to break your problem down into smaller steps. Can you just load the file and display it, or even just print it to the console?

• edited November 2016

I don't have a sketch created yet, do you mean the csv file? its just a downloaded csv off of yahoo finance of apple stocks in the past year, finance.yahoo.com/quote/AAPL/history?period1=1446350400&period2=1477972800&interval=1d&filter=history&frequency=1d

• Cool, sounds good. Which step are you stuck on? Can you get that loaded into a sketch? Just print it to the console for now.

• i did get it loaded into the sketch, this is all i have so far

void setup() {

loadTable("apple1.csv");

• my main source of confusion is that i don't understand where to use certain commands in order to create a graph within the sketch

• Again, break your problem down into smaller pieces.

If you want a line chart: can you get a line displaying on the screen? If you want a bar chart, can you get a rectangle displaying? Don't worry about the data yet.

When you get something displaying on the screen, then slowly work your way towards basing that line off a parameter. At first hardcode that parameter, but then load it from the file.

Then keep working in small steps. Get two numbers from the file. Then get three. Then get them all.

If you get stuck, post an MCVE and we'll go from there. Good luck.

• Look at the reference- loadTable

For-loop. Etc.

• okay i will try my best, thank you so much!