Move object over specified time period

I'd like to move an object from one position to another over a specified period of time in milliseconds, but am thoroughly stuck (maybe because it's Friday night and I have been staring at this screen too long).

I have this code, hacked from one of the examples:

float x,y;
float startX,startY, endX,endY;
float distX, distY;
float percent;
float step = 0.01;

void setup() {
  size(800,800);

startX = width/2;
  startY = height/2;

endX = 100;
  endY = 100;

distX = endX - startX;
  distY = endY - startY;
  percent = 0;
}

void draw() {
  background(255);

percent += step;
  if (percent < 1.0) {
    x = startX + (percent * distX);
    y = startY + (percent * distY);
  }  

fill(255,150,0);
  noStroke();
  ellipse(x,y, 50,50);  
}

It moves the ball nicely and I can change the step variable to set the speed, but I really would like to get it so the movement happens over exactly 1000 milliseconds, for example.

Help!

Tagged:

Answers

• edited September 2016

Please edit your post (upper-right gear) to show the code you are actually using. This is buggy and does not run -- e.g. "step = duration" has no semicolon and refers to a non-variable.

• Oops, sorry about that! That was leftover from some attempts to figure this out. Fixed.

• edited September 2016

A general concept for fitting travel over a path to a time frame is linear interpolation -- in processing, there is a low-level lerp() function. You put in your values (e.g. the beginning and end x of your ball) and an 'amount' value from 0-1, and it gives you the interpolated position between beginning and end values. Think of lerp as a slider -- when it is at 0, your ball is at the beginning, at 1 it is at the end.

Then map your clock (e.g. 1000 milliseconds) to 0-1 when you call lerp() each draw.

Note that draw gets called about 60/second (~1000/60 = ~17 milliseconds) or at frameRate(), so if you are trying to animate over 1000 milliseconds you will get about that many frames of animation.

• edited September 2016 Answer ✓

@jeffthompson -- Here is an example of the concept. Notice how many of your variables are all taken care of by lerp() -- you just need a timeSpan -- and to compute the current timePosition each frame.

/**
     * Linear interpolation for timed position
     * 2016-09-23 Jeremy Douglass
     * Processing 3.2.1
     * forum.processing.org/two/discussion/18268/move-object-over-specified-time-period
     */

float x,y;
    float startX,startY, endX,endY;
    float timeSpan;

void setup() {
      size(800,800);
      startX = width/2;
      startY = height/2;
      endX = 100;
      endY = 100;
      timeSpan = 2000.0;
    }

void draw() {
      background(255);
      float timePosition = millis()/timeSpan % 1;
      x = lerp(startX, endX, timePosition);
      y = lerp(startY, endY, timePosition);
      println(x,y,timeSpan);
      fill(255,150,0);
      noStroke();
      ellipse(x,y, 50,50);  
    }

• Thanks! This makes a ton of sense. I had looked at lerp() but couldn't figure out how to map time to it in a simple way – using float timePosition = millis()/timeSpan % 1; is really elegant.