Raspberry Pi 3

Has anyone tried running Raspberry Pi 3 using the Raspbian image linked at https://github.com/processing/processing/wiki/Raspberry-Pi ? It seems to be Jessie, so it should work, but I'm just getting an endless rainbow screen of sadness.

The same image works fine on my handy Model B+ (except that most of the Processing examples fail glitchily).

Tagged:

Answers

• Just to follow up on that, I found that a completely up-to-date install of Raspbian did work on the RPi3, but the Processing install didn't - it failed after getting almost all of the way through the installation (something about not being open a zip file - sorry I didn't write it down now), though I still got a little message telling me I could run Processing now. Which turned out not to be true.

So then I moved onto the next step, removing lib-mesa. Then Epiphany crashed, not sure if that was a coincidence; it did it again straight away when I restarted it and tried to go to duckduckgo.com. So then I tried restarting the Pi, but after going through the standard bootup messages, without any visible errors, it gets to a flashing-cursor screen which it never gets past.

Back to a fresh install for me...

I'd really like to run Processing on this thing, though. Has anyone succeeded yet?

• it's only been out 3 weeks 8)

did you read bit on the wiki about the new graphics driver and having to move /opt/dv?

https://github.com/processing/processing/wiki/Raspberry-Pi

• edited March 2016

No, I'd missed that bit - it looks like it's only if you want to use the new experimental OpenGL driver anyway, though.

Just tried again with the fresh install - this time it was unambiguous that there simply wasn't enough space on the 4GB partition that Raspbian comes with to install Processing (in fact, there didn't seem to be any space at all!?) so I used GParted on my laptop to expand the partition to fill the 8GB disk, and went again.

Progress! This time I was able to install Processing; removing libgles1-mesa and libgles2-mesa then allowed me to run a sketch... but anything with 3D graphics fails glitchily (squares of random-ish colour) on the screen with error messages like glGetError 0x500 OpenGL error 1280 at bot beginDraw(): invalid enumerant glGetError 0x500 OpenGL error 1280 at bot beginDraw(): invalid enumerant glGetError 0x500 glGetError 0x500 glGetError 0x505 OpenGL error 1285 at top endDraw(): out of memory

and then lots more

glGetError 0x500 glGetError 0x500 glGetError 0x505

So I did the thing of 'open the Raspberry Pi Configuration (under Menu, Preferences), navigate to the Performance tab, change the amount of "GPU memory" and then restart your Pi' - doubling it each time, now it's up to 512 - but it hasn't made any difference.

Next, the bit you described, switching to the experimental renderer...

• Perhaps the old Processing 1.5.1? :-/

• ...which now gives me libEGL warning: Render node support not available, falling back to dri2 and Epiphany won't open.

Declaring this a failure for today, I think, too much other stuff to get on with.

• edited March 2016 Answer ✓

wiki now says:

"Raspberry Pi 3: An experimental image that supports the Raspberry Pi 3 is available here." with a link...

https://github.com/processing/processing/wiki/Raspberry-Pi

or is that the same image you mentioned in the first post?

[edit, no, revision history says that line was added 2 days ago]

• there simply wasn't enough space on the 4GB partition that Raspbian comes with to install Processing (in fact, there didn't seem to be any space at all!?) so I used GParted on my laptop to expand the partition to fill the 8GB disk, and went again.

i think there's an 'expand disk' option in the rasp-config screen to save you having to use gparted. that said, a partition for operating system and one for user data is good practice.