spider-monkey: a development environment for p5js sketches (amongst other things)

edited February 2016 in Share Your Work

There are already plenty of tools available for p5js development; but so far none of them have met all of my needs. The p5 editor is focused on coding p5 and to my knowledge doesn't handle other functionality I'd like (e.g. SASS compilation). The Brackets editor has got a really nice live preview function; up until you hit F12 to initiate the browser developer tools and lose the connection...

To get a fully customisable development environment I decided to roll my own using some - now fairly standard - JS development tools: nodeJS/npm + Gulp + browserSync + Browserify + SASS + Jade. Assuming you can get nodeJS, npm and a couple of other global dependencies installed (if you're on Windoze I share your pain) you can pull the package definition; gulpfile and example source files from github.com/blindfish3/spider-monkey.

This project is as much about me getting a bit more up to speed with these tools; so don't necessarily represent good practice. I'd gladly welcome feedback, pull requests with improvements etc...

Tagged: