Raspberry Pi : Font Sadness

edited April 2016 in Raspberry PI

Hello,

trying to run Processing on a raspberry pi model b+ but i get an error: Font Sadness : Could not find required fonts. Please try reinstall Processing. Does anyone know how to resolve this issue?

More info:

Java 8 (JDK, Latest version)

processing-3.0b7 and Processing 3.0 - Stable

Answers

• Processing requires a font to be installed on the system to be run. Is there any way to install a font on Raspberry Pi?

• Ok, is see. I Replaced the Java directory in Processing with a symlink to another Java version. This version is missing the fonts that are included in the Java directory that Processing is using. I will try to move the fonts to my own Java directory.

• Answer ✓

Gottfried is working on a version of Processing that's made specifically to be compatible with the Pi. We'll probably be announcing that soon.

• Ok great, would love to hear when this version is available.

• Answer ✓

It's not the latest, but could you give this version a try (comes with the right Java for ARM): http://sukzessiv.net/~gohai/p5-arm/processing-3.0b7-arm.tar.bz2

If the problem persists, please post a sketch that exhibits the issue. Thanks in advance!

• hey gohai! your link does not work... would you mind to provide a working one?!

thx! :)

• It's going to be released in the near future. Still polishing the bytes a bit.

• oh. ok. thanks. really looking forward to it.

• ive got the processing 2.2.1 running on a raspberry pi 2 b according to this tutorial: scruss.com/blog/2014/01/07/processing-2-1-oracle-java-raspberry-pi-serial-arduino-%E2%98%BA/comment-page-1/#comment-1120432

basic programs work just fine, but more "complex" programms will end up in errors: glGetError 0x500

• Using the new Processing 3.0.1 linux armv6hf version i got it running on my Raspberry PI 2 B. No big problems, everything seems to be alright. Nice!

When I try to run sketches (like the rgbCube example) or other slightly more complex graphical sketches, its not running. (sometimes i do not even see the render window of the sketch) Could it be possible, that i missed some graphic drivers or something like this, or is that just a hardware issue caused by the raspberry pi, since its not as powerful as an average desktop PC? I just installed the latest java8 jdk.

Thanks in advance, Sven.

• There are some more advanced 3D examples that do not run or crash. Since the Raspberry Pi's graphics drivers are binary-only, there's little we can do currently to try to debug this further, but the situation will sure improve over time with the driver maturing, and another - open source Mesa driver being developed.

Short answer: There's probably nothing wrong with your setup. Check if the Topics/Shaders/Monjori works - this normally works well on the Pi.

Best