question about searching the forum

edited November 2013 in General

Before I post, I always search the forums but the results seem very often not related and certainly not accurate.

Most recent example is this:

I searched for 64-bit -- just like that and this post was not shown at all. I stumbled on it later, by accident:

http://forum.processing.org/two/discussion/939/processing-for-64-bit-architecture#Item_3

As you can see, it has 64-bit in the post title. I don't understand why it didn't show. I would like to know if I am doing something wrong? Thanks.

Tagged:

Answers

• Answer ✓

The search in this page (for example) seems to be the built-in search of this forum, limited to this forum, and perhaps not perfect.

When searching for a Processing topic, I always go to the main site, and search from there: it is powered by Google, with scope limited to the Processing site, so on focus. For example, typing 64-bit in this search bar leads to the page: https://www.google.com/search?as_sitesearch=processing.org&as_q=64-bit with lot of hits.

• edited November 2013

@PhiLho -- I always have selected All Discussion before my searches -- what do you mean by Main Page? You mean the search box on the processing.org page?? If that's the case, why not remove the search box from the forum. It is very misleading to use it and very likely, as in my case, results in duplicate postings about the same issue??? Just a thought. (I know most forums have a search, but on other forums it seems to work just fine. So, I really think it better not to have it, or if possible, make it link the one on the main page??)

I mean, leaving the forum to search the forum is not intuitive!!!

Thanks, PhiLho!

• I wrote "main site", not "main page". All the pages of Processing.org can be used (not necessarily on sub-domains like forum.processing.org...).

And, indeed, it can be a good idea to make the search box of this site to work like those of the main site... I don't know if it is possible or simple.

• Yes - confusion -- I thought you meant the search box on the main processing.org site. If that is what you are talking about, then we are in agreement.