processing 2/3 ? Sound or Minim?

edited April 2015 in Using Processing

I copied a basic SoundIn example and Processing said I was missing the library. I tried to Import -> Add the Sound library but it doesn't exist. There is documentation all over the site. This doesn't make sense.

Then I read a thread that Processing 2 comes with Minim, not Sound. Sound is only Processing 3, which is in alpha release... Why is there only documentation for the version that isn't even the primarily release? And the documentation for the primarily release (Minim) is not on the site (3rd party instead)?

So I downloaded Processing 3 and when I open Processing.exe, it's loading picture says Processing 2, not 3... The window title reflects version 2.2.1. I tried both 3.0a4 and 3.0a5 both are incorrect. And it doesn't seem to be just the title because, for example, the Sound library is not in the default Library list and you can't add/import it.

What's going on?

Sound seems more simple and understandable and well documented on Processing's site. But it's as if it doesn't exist and Processing 3 doesn't "exist."

Tagged:

Answers

• edited April 2015
    • Indeed when the devs decide something, they force every1 to swallow any changes they fancied w/o any transitioning period.
    • Go to Sketch -> Import Library... -> Add Library...
    • Then choose both Minim & Sound! ~O)
  • When I search "sound" I get 1. Beads, 2. oscP5, 3. SoundCloud, 4. SuperCollider client for Processing, 5. tactu5.

When I search "minim" I get 1. Beads, 2. Looms, 3. Nest, 4. The MidiBus.

Neither has either and/or Minim and Sound.

• edited April 2015
    • Mimim isn't available as a contributor library in P2 b/c it's bundled already!
    • And Sound is only available in P3!
  • edited April 2015

I downloaded P3 (pre-release: 3.0a4 and 3.0a5) for Windows 32 bit and like I said in the OP, it opens up as Processing 2.2.1 in both cases....

• Hmm. Now it appears to be working after a restart (although still the old image logo). Weird.

• Answer ✓

The splash screen was not changed yet, true.

• edited April 2015 Answer ✓
    • Processing 3 is still in alpha stage. And even P3.0a5 is very much like P2.2.1 internally.
    • After P3.0a5 things gonna change a lot and my advise is to stick w/ P3.0a5 for a long time, even when later versions come out.
    • Modifications planned for P3 are very profound, at least internally, and bugs will follow for sure! ~X(