We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSyntax Questions › Making the switch from Alpha
Pages: 1 2 
Making the switch from Alpha (Read 8119 times)
Re: Making the switch from Alpha
Reply #15 - Apr 20th, 2005, 4:44am

oh wait, except we hope that it'll be: int(split(blah)) instead of toInt() (though toInt() will still work) once i get a chance to tweak the preprocessor.

haha.. i bask in my evil.
ceci n'est pas une circle
Reply #16 - Apr 21st, 2005, 2:54am

Help me out.

I have a nifty logo. If I compile it with .69 it looks lovely.  If I compile it with .85 it stinks. I created a sample page and included a screenshot so you can see what I see. The only difference between the pages is changing loop to draw.

Is it just me??

www.simdecisions.com/processing/index.html
Reply #17 - Apr 21st, 2005, 5:13am

Did you try dropping smooth() into your setup?

You also probably want to use ellipseMode(CORNER) to get the same placement as before. (I guess this used to be the default and it's now ellipseMode(CENTER).)

The difference is in the renderers. 69 used what is now known as P2D (and currently broken). 85 uses JAVA2D.
Reply #18 - Apr 21st, 2005, 6:04am

in some cases, the default JAVA2D renderer is crappier than the original (P2D) renderer... one of them is things that have smoothing turned off. another is where you're trying to do a lot of work with pixels (where you now have to use loadPixels/updatePixels), the latter is likely to be much slower. these are also related to the reasons we avoided using java2d from the very first processing releases, but it was essentially a way to get a renderer going that was more complete.

when we get time we'll 1) make a better catalog of these sort of things and 2) work on bringing P2D back. obviously we'd like all these renderers to work and be quite fancy, but there's only so much code that i can write in my free time.

positive side of the JAVA2D renderer are things like smoothing (with negligible speed decrease), thick lines, proper caps and joins, and graphics card acceleration in some cases.
Reply #19 - Apr 21st, 2005, 1:22pm

smooth() helps tremendously, but a few of the circles look a bit squished on three sides, like rounded triangles. I'll keep working on it. Thanks.

Now -- can someone give me a hint as to why all my text disappeared?
------
I answered my own question.
I had lots of textMode(ALIGN_ things when the proper new syntax is textAlign(  and that hosed things.
Pages: 1 2