Halloween 2014: Night of Code...

Hello processing world. Some may not celebrate Halloween as I don't, but I was wondering who would be up for a contest.

Beginning today to the night of October 31, from 8:00 p.m. to 3 a.m of the next morning, post a code of something relating to Halloween or something plain spooky. Let's show off our programming skills. I hope people join this event. So about the contest. Judging will be done by myself , any moderators , and who ever else decides to participate in judging. (People who want to judge can send me a personal message if they want to join.) what are you being judged on? The creativity of the project will count, the level processing, and the level of spookiness. How will you post? You can go to openprocessing.org, paste your code on there, save it, and copy the link and paste it here.

1st, 2nd, and 3rd place will be recognized on the processing website through a discussion, where your code will be posted so others can marvel at the good work. Everyone else who participates will also get a mention in a different discussion, and a their link of their code will be posted next to their names.

If you have time, and you have nothing to do, try this out! Thanks everyone.

TechWiz777

Comments

• edited October 2014

This is interesting, but what exactly do you mean when you say that the winners will be recognized on the processing website through a discussion? Is there some official announcement that I could send to people?

• edited October 2014

Yes please make an announcement. It will be like this for example:

Kevin Workman 1st place Halloween night of code -title

In the body it will be your code and the link to view it.

• Would like to be a judge?

• Is this some officially approved contest? It sounds like it, if the winners will be listed on the Processing site.

Or do you just mean that you'll make a forum post about it?

• You mean is this contest legal? Yes. Has any moderators said I could. Not yet. That is why I need moderators. Yes I mean I will make a discussion post about it.

• I'm not a moderator. I just thought this was more official, since it sounded like the winners would be listed on the Processing page.

Either way, good luck.

• I understand that Halloween is quite an event in the USA, and also to a lesser extent here in the UK, not sure about other countries, would be interesting to know.

Any way not sure about the competition aspect but it might be fun to have a Halloween sketch collection so here is one I created sometime ago, not a particularly novel idea but hopefully you will enjoy.

Halloween Spooks

• would be interesting to know

It was almost inexistent in Brasil, though in last years, it is growing… :)

• @Quark I don't believe in Halloween but I thought it would be fun if we all got together.

@vk You live in Brazil? Cool! It is a lifetime commitment that I make friends from all around the world. In case I'm in a jam somewhere.

• edited October 2014

It was almost inexistent in Brasil, though in last years, it is growing…

At least, English schools commemorate Halloween in Brazil for many decades already! (~~)
    However, Brazil already got 2nd of November for "Finados"! 8-X

• So, anyone want to judge or participate?

• "I don't believe in Halloween"
    I don't think it is a belief, just an opportunity to have fun...

For the record, in France, some pumpkin, disguise and candy sellers want to make it more popular, but I can't say it has a huge following, although it is slowly growing too.

In my neighbor, children, more or less in disguise, go from houses to houses, more interested in the candy than in anything else... :-)

• I know it's not a belief, I just don't celebrate. Plus, now I live in California.

• edited October 2014

"Plus, now I live in California."
    Yes, people are scary all year, there... (Botox, implants, tatoos & piercings...) :-D

• Right! Do you live in California PhiLHo? Not likely you said there.

• I will judge, if you get some participants...

If I find time I will make a program as well.

ps I believe in Halloween! (I live in Virginia)

• Hey! That's great! Now that you are a judge, can you help me advertise? Don't spam other questions cause I got in trouble for that but if you ask a question, can you mention this page? Thanks mcspud.

• Hey ! I think it's a very good idea ! It could be great to have a kind of contest maybe each month or every 3 months, nothing official, just for fun.

I'll try to create something !

Halloween is not very popular in France but it doesn't matter. ;)

• OY! Thanks telcos (how i think used to be fanthomas) but let's get this straight. IM FRENCH, but... I live in CALIFORNIA, LIKE YOU KNOW,, THE U.S. My cousin on the other hand, lives in Quebec, CANADA. we were born in France though.

• tlecoz sorry, autocorrect.

• Does anyone else want to join?

• I may consider joining, though I'll would be submitting my code very close to the deadline, as I have to complete a CS project.

I'll have to see how innovative I can be with this. I don't want to be that one participant that creates code for a game that has a screaming warped face pop up on the screen, should the player screw up somewhere.

Actually... just as I am writing this, a nice idea came to mind. I'll definitely be participating. :)

• Hey! Take your time! Hope you do well on your project. :)

• Thanks to all participants

• @MenteCode

creates code for a game that has a screaming warped face pop up on the screen, should the player screw up somewhere.

Game, what game, I didn't suggest it was a game and since it isn't a game it is not possible for people to 'screw up' as you so eloquently put it. The sketch is solely to surprise the watcher and I am sorry if you didn't find it amusing. I created the sketch several years ago as a joke and posted it just to get the ball rolling.

As I said in my original comment I am not interested in the competition aspect but it should be amusing to see what people come up with.

With the time available I am sure you will do something more innovative. :)

• edited October 2014

@quark Ehe. I forgot you did that. That's all fine. That was an intended jump scare.

What I'm talking about is like "scary maze game". Yknow, the one that you would see all over the web about 2 years ago. I don't remember. It's either if you touch a wall, or when you complete the maze, that a screamer pops up.

That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about. And while I have nothing against them (So don't worry. You're perfectly in the clear), I'm just not the kind of person to do that, and I quote:

I don't want to be that one participant...

Everyone's free to do what ever they want. I'm no limit to imagination... :-S

Edit: Aaaand... correction! It was actually meant to be the "scary maze game". quark seems to have found it, though I have no idea how...

• Just Googled "the mouse maze game". Fortunately I seem to have missed that craze, awful graphics virtually non-existent game play and the scary faces are completely out of context. Now I see what you were talking about.

Looking forward to see what you come up with :)

• About 2 weeks till Halloween!

• Programming and Halloween. Proloween?

• Processing and Halloween. Processeen?

• Kevin Workman,

Nice one!

• edited October 2014

@quark: shouldn't you also submit your ghosts on that graveyard that you did as a shapes example?

Best, Chrisir ;-)

• @Chrisir Good memory - I had completely forgotten about that one. It is included in my Sprites library which was first released June 2009 so was written sometime before that data.

Anyway I have uploaded it to Open Processing if anyone wants to play Ghost Busters

• Spooky scary skeletons. Good song on YouTube.

• Interesting. Count me in.

• Now would be a good time to mention my very first Processing game created back in 2011 for Ludum Dare: Escape from Monster City: http://staticvoidgames.com/games/EscapeFromMonsterCity

• You are right.

• Halloween is drawing nearer.

• Tomorrow is Halloween 8-X

Last couple of weeks I decided to take a break from my normal programming stuff to create a Halloween game.

Here is just a teensy weensy hint at what it might be about. :)

houseteaser

When do you want us to upload our sketches to Open Processing ?

I am looking forward to seeing what everyone else has come up with.

• You can upload tomorrow quark. All day is fine. Forget about the 8 pm to 3 am thing. Halloween is Halloween. Thanks for playing along! I am also looking forward to!

• Cool? Could you put that in open processing and send the link? That's so we can see it.

• You guys might also be interested in the Asylum Jam happening this weekend: http://asylumjam.tumblr.com/

• I tried uploading my code to openprocessing.org, but the site was too heavy. So, although this might be a rule break, but I uploaded my code to github( https://github.com/arcoyk/GodBlessPaint/blob/halloween/GodBlessPaint.pde ). In addition, I uploaded demo to YouTube so you can see a quick result ( ). Happy Halloween!!

• Hey no problem, whatever works for you! Open processing is the only think I knew about, but if you have other things that work, go for it!

• Alternative PDE host I always use: http://studio.sketchpad.cc/ (~~)
    JavaScript Mode only though! 8-X