Cannot Export Sketch for Mac with Processing 2.2 or 2.2.1

edited May 2014 in Using Processing

With the reintroduction of sketch exporting for Linux and Mac in Processing 2.2, I am obviously anxious to do this, but I am having a problem with doing it using either version. I am running the 64 bit build for Windows, and here's what happens when I try to export for Mac:

java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Program Files\Processing\java\..\..\..\..\..\MacOS\Processing (The system cannot find the path specified)
    at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method)
    at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at processing.app.Base.copyFile(Base.java:2698)
    at processing.mode.java.JavaBuild.exportApplication(JavaBuild.java:1233)
    at processing.mode.java.JavaBuild.exportApplication(JavaBuild.java:1135)
    at processing.mode.java.JavaMode.handleExportApplication(JavaMode.java:166)
    at processing.mode.java.JavaEditor.exportApplicationPrompt(JavaEditor.java:564)
    at processing.mode.java.JavaEditor.handleExportApplication(JavaEditor.java:239)
    at processing.mode.java.JavaEditor$1.actionPerformed(JavaEditor.java:55)
    at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI.doClick(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI$Handler.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.access$200(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

As the message says, there is a collection of files missing. The file path is cut off here so I cannot find the exact folder location, but since the file location is within the Processing source files, it must mean that something is missing. I have reported this issue on GitHub here, but have not received a sufficient response. What should I do? After making this post, I am going to move my Processing installation to my C drive so that there a fewer folders, and perhaps I will be able to post a better file path.

Update: I tried moving Processing directly to the C drive and renaming the containing folder to "X", but it doesn't work. I still get the filepath cut off.

Tagged:

Answers

• I had problems once with whitespace in the path. Check the folder or subfolder name if there is a whitespace in the name...

• @baltensperger Was the whitespace with the folder names coming from the Processing installation or from the folder containing your sketch?

• @DavidB: in general, avoid them everywhere (when dealing with Java)... :-)

• I have the same problem too, and i've removed all whitespace from any paths.

• "I have reported this issue on GitHub here, but have not received a sufficient response."
    Well, you give there much less information than here, so you got a standard "work here" answer... The stack trace would have been useful. Or a link to here.

I just notice the message C:\Program Files\Processing\java\..\..\..\..\..\MacOS\Processing (The system cannot find the path specified)

It is normal the path isn't found, the ..\..\..\..\.. path goes way above the C: drive, which means nothing!

• Since the issue is something that apparently cannot be fixed, could I instead create a jar file that launches the game?

• If you don't use native libraries, a jar file is a portable way to distribute a program. Note also there is a tool to export applications.

• My program does use native libraries, but I have found where the native libraries for Mac are located in the Windows build of Processing.

• Hello guys, I have the same issue. Exporting for Win works well from both a mac and win, but I cannot export for Mac:

C:\Program Files\Processing\java..........\MacOS\Processing (The system cannot find the path specified)

PhiLho, you said > It is normal the path isn't found, the .......... path goes way above the C: drive, which means nothing! So how do you change the path ? What is the actual path to specify ?

Thank you all.

• I have the same problem, trying to export to a MacOS application from Processing 2.2.1 on Linux 64 bit. I just tried downloading Processing 3.0a5 to see if I would be any more successful with that. I wasn't. In fact, in 3.0a5 the option to export to MacOS is actually greyed out.

• Did anyone find a resolution to this?

The initial error I get (same as first post in this thread) is where Processing is looking for the folder MacOS/Processing under the user home folder. I created a MacOS/Processing folder under the user and Processing places a file "javaApplicationStub" file in that location but the error changes to "access denied" and it fails again. Removing "read only" in folder properties makes no change. Still access denied.

Any suggestions....?

I'm running Win8.1 64bit and P 2.2.1 32bit

• edited May 2015 Answer ✓

I have the same issue, Processing 2.2.1 on Linux 64 bit. The previous Github issue is closed as cantfix. I can't find an open issue for this - should I open one? The error is the same as in the OP - java.io.FileNotFoundException: /home/appas/processing/processing-2.2.1/java/../../../../../MacOS/Processing (No such file or directory). I couldn't find it, either, but is such a directory as /MacOS/Processing included somewhere in the Processing distribution?

Edit: so I added a new issue here: https://github.com/processing/processing/issues/3302 , but apparently, bugs in 2.x are not fixed any more. Now to try if this actually works in the 3.0a series, as per Ben's comment on Github.