location of directories when using android mode

edited May 2014 in Android Mode

Hi, I have a project that uploads a file to an FTP server, when i run it in JAVA mode it works fine. When i run it in Android mode it connects to the server and begins to upload the test file then throws the error:

java.io.FileNotFoundException: /18-4-2014.txt (No such file or directory) at org.apache.harmony.luni.platform.OSFileSystem.open(Native Method)

So it obviously cant find the required file; There are two directories in the sketch folder 1) the "code" folder that holds the FTP library jar file and 2) the "data" folder which holds the text file that i wish to send.

I assumed that the data directory was the first place that the sketch looks for when looking for a particular file (if the path isn't explicitly set) - it seems to find the code directory OK. I have just discovered that in fact it was only working in JAVA mode because there was a copy of the file in the main processing directory (/home/richard/processing).

How do i get it to look in the data directory for required files.

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers.

Answers

• Anybody??

• I at least moved the topic to the Android category, it might find a better audience...

• How do you open the file? Some functions don't search the data folder, so you must specify the absolute path to the data folder like so: dataPath("myFile.txt") (replacing myFile.txt, depending on your implementation...). dataPath() returns the specified file appended to the path to the data folder.

• Hi calsign and thanks for the reply - the use of the dataPath() method did the trick in java mode but didn't work in Android mode (threw a file not found exception) which puzzles me a bit cos the call to

text(dataPath(""),5,40);

reported the same path to internal storage as the java method

text(getFilesDir(),5,60);

So i assume that its working correctly but the call to

File firstLocalFile = new File(dataPath("15-4-2014.txt"));

did not work whereas it did in java mode. Could the problem be permissions although i thought internal storage for the app could be freely written to and read from.

Any Ideas?

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers.

sketch permissions issue?